Wyoming general elk

UtahMountainMan

Hey guys - I am heading up to Wyoming for my first time ever with a Wyoming tag of any kind. I have a general bull elk tag. Im going to be heading up next week and have been looking at western wyoming, kind of the unit 85, 89, 92, 94 general areas.

I will be going up solo. I am using this year as kind of a year to start learning area, hike a ton of miles, start finding some good country to hunt. My oldest son is 9 so I am hoping to find a decent area that I can maybe start hunting every 3 or 4 years up in Wyoming and bring him with me a few times.

I will not have horses, I do have an ATV, two legs, and I am 34 years old and willing to get blisters on my feet.

Anyone on here have any general tips or pointers on those units I mentioned and any general areas or trailheads to maybe check out? Feel free to pm me if anyone is kind enough to point me in the right direction.

If anyone on here has any questions about deer or elk hunting in Utah, particularly central utah and southeast utah feel free to PM me. I know those areas quite well and am more than willing to help.
My goal if I am lucky enough to get on a bull up in wyoming is to shoot a mature bull, not looking for a trophy my first year up there with a general tag.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Earl aka UtahMountainMan

I have hunted unit 85 extensively for the past 2 seasons and as much as I wanted to kill an elk there it never came together. I killed a mule deer last year in the area (although it doesn't go by the same number for elk) and while I was deer hunting I did see 4 small bulls on Munger Mountain. Really cool area to hunt and there are definitely elk. I was always elk hunting during rifle season though and I believe it could be a better area during bow season. Another unit to take a look at is 84. Lots of really rugged terrain in there but lots of elk as well.

Hey guys - I am heading up to Wyoming for my first time ever with a Wyoming tag of any kind. I have a general bull elk tag. Im going to be heading up next week and have been looking at western wyoming, kind of the unit 85, 89, 92, 94 general areas.

I will be going up solo. I am using this year as kind of a year to start learning area, hike a ton of miles, start finding some good country to hunt. My oldest son is 9 so I am hoping to find a decent area that I can maybe start hunting every 3 or 4 years up in Wyoming and bring him with me a few times.

I will not have horses, I do have an ATV, two legs, and I am 34 years old and willing to get blisters on my feet.

Anyone on here have any general tips or pointers on those units I mentioned and any general areas or trailheads to maybe check out? Feel free to pm me if anyone is kind enough to point me in the right direction.

If anyone on here has any questions about deer or elk hunting in Utah, particularly central utah and southeast utah feel free to PM me. I know those areas quite well and am more than willing to help.
My goal if I am lucky enough to get on a bull up in wyoming is to shoot a mature bull, not looking for a trophy my first year up there with a general tag.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Earl aka UtahMountainMan
I was wondering how this hunt went. I am looking at 85 and looking for some general information

Be ready to see a ton of other people and a lot of them on horses. Good news there are elk in all of those units. Hunter one of those units with my son and dad and got on elk each day. From what I gathered I would shoot any bull that comes into range.

Back