Wyoming Fishing

Elite7

Hello!

This September I will be going to Yellowstone for a week and then head to the Wheatland area to hunt antelope. I was hoping to get suggestions regarding what type of spin cast tackle to bring along. I fish trout a lot here in Missouri and generally fish with marabou jigs. Would these jigs work in Yellowstone and areas around Wheatland? I am aware of the fishing regulations in Yellowstone and will adjust accordingly.

Thanks!

Can't use any lead in YNP. Standard hardware (spoons and spinners) will work fine.

On the way to wheatland, stop and drift the grey reef section of the north Platte River. Amazing fishery. There are shops right on the river that rent drift boats.

Lots of great fishing in the small streams around Wheatland too. Panther martin spinners work great 1/16 - 1/8. Grey Rocks Res. has good walleye. Area 38 antelope? Best beer in the state is made at The Library in Laramie on your way over. Ypu can get into some brook trout, rainbows, and brown trout around Wheatland. I once caught a tiger trout and didn't know it from one of the creeks.

Thanks guys! The jigs that I tie aren't lead so that wouldn't be a concern. I will definitely look into renting a drift boat on the way to wheat land. I imagine most people are fly fishing the grey reef? I don't have much experience with flies. I will also take a look at the Panther Spinners. Is the fishing any good at the Wheatland Reservoirs?

Wheatland 3 has been a good lake this summer, lots of good sized fish coming out of there. Glendo has been terrible for me but for others it's been solid, I just can't find the walleye in that damn lake. Further east is Hawk Springs, great crappie fishing right now but watch out for snakes, had a guy just a few weeks ago get introduced to anti-venom due to a baby rattler nailing him in the finger. If you make it down to Chugwater stop and get some Chugwater chili! Good luck on the hunt!

Gray Rocks, east of Wheatland is good usually, walleye do not have a size limit there. Don't overlook the rivers and small streams with public access.

Little cleo's, kastmaters, super dupers, small rainbow rapalla, clear bubble with leader to a san juan worm or wooly worm or stone fly. Any little mepps, rooster tails or panthers.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back