Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming first, second choice explanation

Hello everyone,
Can someone help me out here? Planning my first trip out west to Wyoming for pronghorn and trying to understand how the first and second choices work on the application. Can someone explain these to me?

Your first choice uses your preference points and your 2nd choice doesn’t. There’s not many choices for 2nd that you have a decent chance of drawing unless you pay for the non resident special draw tag which is like $625. If you choose that the amount of units that you may actually draw for your 2nd chance increases.

2nd choice units are so you can keep building points while still having the opportunity to go out and hunt. If you have GoHunt it helps narrow down units you may be able to draw as a 2nd choice but don’t fully rely on that. Cross reference it with the WY fish and game website too!

How does it work? Do they draw my name and if first choice is full I get 2nd? That does seem to match results. Do they draw me and if 1st isn't open I goback until every ones first is picked?

Your first choice uses your preference points and your 2nd choice doesn’t. There’s not many choices for 2nd that you have a decent chance of drawing unless you pay for the non resident special draw tag which is like $625. If you choose that the amount of units that you may actually draw for your 2nd chance increases.

2nd choice units are so you can keep building points while still having the opportunity to go out and hunt. If you have GoHunt it helps narrow down units you may be able to draw as a 2nd choice but don’t fully rely on that. Cross reference it with the WY fish and game website too!
Thanks that helps a bunch. That’s why I was curious because I was on go hunt and saw how few 2nd choice units there were

How does it work? Do they draw my name and if first choice is full I get 2nd? That does seem to match results. Do they draw me and if 1st isn't open I goback until every ones first is picked?

They go through all the first choices first and then go through the second choices.

ClearCreek

Thanks that helps a bunch. That’s why I was curious because I was on go hunt and saw how few 2nd choice units there were
Yeah so if money isn’t an issue and you want to go hunt antelope while building points go for special draw 2nd choice. I might be doing that this year myself

+1
BB.jpg

I was wondering this myself recently, thanks for the clarification.

PP only apply to first choice, the rest is random draw on second choice. That makes it much easier to decide what to do for this year.

I was wondering this myself recently, thanks for the clarification.

PP only apply to first choice, the rest is random draw on second choice. That makes it much easier to decide what to do for this year.
I’m in the same boat. Might just get the special tag for a 2nd draw tag while I build my preference points a little higher

Since I’m not too worried about size currently, I think I’m just going to apply on an area with high draw/success rate so we can have opportunities. Maybe after I get the first one I’ll be pickier and start trying to build points

Often the easy draw units have very limited public land opportunities so the open spots have a bunch of hunters and most game goes to nearby private land. The high success numbers come from the fellows that are hunting the private land. Of course some guys will get a pronghorn on the crowded public land. Later in the season the crowds thin out and some game will come back onto the public ground. You might get lucky.

My limited experience says "easy to draw" means little public access, and/or LOTS of hunters

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back