Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Elk

NDMuley

Looking to apply for elk next fall. With 5 points am I looking at general or is there a better option? Thanks

If you draw a general tag you can hunt in any general area correct?

Guess the research process starts. It will be our 1st elk hunt. Bringing my nephew and 2 great nephews. We are not concerned about trophies. Just at hopefully getting the opportunity at a bull.

Looking to apply for elk next fall. With 5 points am I looking at general or is there a better option? Thanks
Depends what kind of elk hunt you are looking for. Backcountry or Roads? Trees or Desert? early or late Season?

This is where Go Hunt really helps you narrow it down. You have a lot of General options but some unit specific tags many of which have a lot of Wilderness. Part of the attraction to me is the remote country a lot of the Wilderness units offer..

Guess the research process starts. It will be our 1st elk hunt. Bringing my nephew and 2 great nephews. We are not concerned about trophies. Just at hopefully getting the opportunity at a bull.
Your going to get one shot at WY with your points. After you burn them you'll never catch up again.

Maybe think about 3 or 4 hunts in an otc state before you waste your opportunity on a learning curve.

It's also going to depend what happens with the switch to regions if that is put in place next year. no more general tag for nr its going to a region quota system. who knows how it will work yet? Good or bad time will tell. But I suspect it will be similiar to the deer region and draw will be effected in the same way areas with more wilderness and grizzly bears will be easier to draw no wilderness much harder to draw. But that is yet to be seen just another wrench in the NR hunters plans

Depends what kind of elk hunt you are looking for. Backcountry or Roads? Trees or Desert? early or late Season?

I’d hope the kind where they’re bugling and he has a rifle and bugle tube! That’s what I’d want!?

Insert shitty opinion here*
Funny how badass that is and nobody is mad about it like they are with Montana tags! They don’t want us to be able to shoot a deer with a rifle in the rut, let alone a bugling bull elk!? I’d say early season rifle myself. Good luck regardless

It's also going to depend what happens with the switch to regions if that is put in place next year. no more general tag for nr its going to a region quota system. who knows how it will work yet? Good or bad time will tell. But I suspect it will be similiar to the deer region and draw will be effected in the same way areas with more wilderness and grizzly bears will be easier to draw no wilderness much harder to draw. But that is yet to be seen just another wrench in the NR hunters plans
So you are saying that all the draw odds and info on the areas are worthless to try and plan a hunt next year?

So you are saying that all the draw odds and info on the areas are worthless to try and plan a hunt next year?
It's a giant guess until we know what's going to happen with regions if they bring that into the mix next year it will make things interesting thats for sure.

I would think it would take longer then the next draw to get it set up and ready to go unless they have been working on it before hand. But you never know.

Somewhat of a guess. I would NOT base your choices solely upon last years odds. I look at several years of trends. (Which is also somewhat of a cr@pshoot with covid surges) Understand if you think you have found a "diamond in the rough" draw for 2023, it is likely others see the same stone so odds sometimes pendulum hard (poor) for a year.

If you do find that diamond in the rough, keep your mouth shut! !!! Not too many left with the internet age.

Reactions: DFS
Your going to get one shot at WY with your points. After you burn them you'll never catch up again.

Maybe think about 3 or 4 hunts in an otc state before you waste your opportunity on a learning curve.
I second this. I think it's probably right that, while you might get lucky and draw randomly from time to time, it will be a very long time (if ever) before you can reliably draw a bull tag in Wyoming again once you burn your points. I would apply for a cow tag or two and start getting used to hunting elk before burning the points.

Back