Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Elk Unit 85

dave7

I have a non resident rifle type 6 cow tag for Unit 85 just south of Wilson WY. I live just over the hill in Driggs, Idaho. Recently retired long time bird hunter and have shot several deer over the years. First time going after elk other than accompanying my son-in-law on a number of elk archery hunts. I have been out 5 times in last two weeks and have seen no elk. Running into the occasional moose and fair amount of mulies and deer sign but very little elk sign. I am hunting up N Fork Fall Creek road and hiking north to Taylor Mountain vicinity. Hearing some morning shooting to the east. My son-in-law hunted this area a few years ago and is surprised at how much hunting pressure I am seeing. Any Unit 85 hunters out there who can offer some info or nearby other areas to this rookie elk hunter? Season runs to end of October. Any tips much appreciated!

If you had a 91 tag, I could give you a few tips. Just returned from a deer hunt there. Sorry

No heavy horned mule deer were harmed during my trip. I saw quite a few bucks that you tubers or some celebrities may have shot for film but not quite what I wanted. Moose, elk, smallish bucks were seen frequently. Celebrated my 50th wedding anniversary with my wife and saw beautiful country. Yes, I had success.

50 years wow impressive, congratulations. Great way to spend it in beautiful country.

Back