Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming elk unit 31

Howdy

Headed out to wyoming next weekend for an antelope and cow elk hunt in 31
Anyone hunt this unit for elk?
If your willing to share some info on areas we could scout would help us out.
Going a week early to scout the elk, hunt antelope, scout possible future hunt for deer in 102 too.
Thanks for any info you share...
Howdy

Hi,

I finally drew a tag and am looking for some help figuring out how to first approach Wyoming Elk Unit 31. I have only bow hunted heavily timbered, and heavily pressured elk in Idaho taking 2 bulls over the 7 seasons there. I see there is very little dark timber other than around Little Mountain. I understand the roads get nasty up there with bad weather, bringing a Quad but not sure about access. My plans so far are to start bow hunting Sept 14 near Wildhorse Basin or Jarvies Marsh Creek. I don't have real info to go on other than it looks "a little harder" to access with some places to glass from. I am sure I will see a lot of deer hunters and people assisting other elk hunters all throughout the unit. I'm trying to find pockets of elk they may be over looked. So far I have everyone suggesting I hunt Little Mountain but something in my gut says that's where the most pressure will be with smaller bulls. I'm not expecting a 350" bull out of this unit, but I sure would appreciate a chance at nice 320" bulls. I plan to stay through the first week of the rifle hunt if I am unsuccessful with the bow. Any help breaking this unit down a little would be greatly appreciated. 13 years sure has been a long time waiting!

Thank you for any insight and happy hunting,

Jacob Ceparano
(Flat lander in North Carolina)

Congratulations on pulling the tag! I'm sure you will have a great hunt in this area. It blows my mind that people wait 13 years to hunt this part of the state though. By that I mean, there are much more beautiful and picturesque areas of Wyoming that have great elk hunting potential but for some reason this area of the state is so sought after.

Congratulations on pulling the tag! I'm sure you will have a great hunt in this area. It blows my mind that people wait 13 years to hunt this part of the state though. By that I mean, there are much more beautiful and picturesque areas of Wyoming that have great elk hunting potential but for some reason this area of the state is so sought after.
Thank you. What attracted me to this unit was the idea that it would be a hunt where I could have multiple elk encounters per day. I have spent may days afield with out seeing or hearing a bull while hunting hard and covering lots of ground. I have never hunted open terrian or chased elk with a gun. Should be a great hunt. Hopefully someone will be willing to give a little help on where to concentrate, or even where not to concentrate my efforts.

Welcome and congratulations. Have you ever set foot in this unit or did you just pick it because of the success odds? Better get OnX maps so you know where you are. First time in a unit is always the hardest, learning the lay of the land. How many days do you have to scout/hunt?
I would suggest you pick a decent unit with tags available and hunt that a couple years. This cuts down on the scouting time and allows more hunting.
Everyone is looking for what you’re looking for, be able to read the other hunters and adjust your plan accordingly. Have a spot A, B, C and possibly D.
Good luck and don’t disappear, keep us informed on your hunt.

I have never set foot in WY-31. Driven through on 80 headed to Idaho but no personal knowledge of the unit. I have only hunted OTC units, and yes the more years in a unit the easier it becomes. Problem here is I will probably only draw Unit-31 once this lifetime. I have OnX and I plan to hunt 3 full weeks, 2 during bow and first week of rifle. Have you hunted this Unit?

No, I haven't. You will most definitely see elk in this unit, especially with the amount of time you will have to hunt. I just meant that there are general units you could pull every two to three years as a non resident that have just as quality if not better elk hunting. This part of Wyoming is mostly high desert, if I were coming from out of state my preference would be to hunt the mountains in the state every other year rather than the high desert once a decade.

I bowhunt elk every season in the Mountains of Idaho. I'm look forward to the new scenery.

I’ve never hunted 31. I’m headed to Wyoming with a general tag, so have several options. Have a friend that lives around the Medical Bow, so that’s an option. Planning on a spring bear hunt in a couple units to get the layer of the land before elk season.
I don’t expect to draw a general every year, off years, I’ll head back to a known unit in Colorado and/or Idaho.
Sounds like you have a good foundation of knowledge. Good luck and keep in touch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back