MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Elk Unit 107 type 7

cgarner

I'm in the process of planning my first elk application and decided to go after a cow elk tag since I don't have any experience hunting elk. I'm looking at hunt area 107 type 7 which is for a cow or calf elk valid off national forest within the Henry's Fork River drainage. I scoured the Wyoming Game and Fish website and can't find a map or legal description of the Henry's Fork River drainage area and it's boundaries. Is anyone familiar with this area that would be willing to discuss the unit boundaries with me or share a unit map from last year?

Craig

Well after 30 minutes on the phone with various people with Wyoming game and fish I"m still searching for an answer to my question. A lady with Wyoming game and fish did point me in a hopefully right direction and suggested I call the biologist for that region. I left him a message and am hoping he has more detailed info.

Not knowing the specific area open to hunting for this type of tag makes it difficult for a non-resident to invest $320 for the tag. My understanding is that type 7 tags are only issued for areas with elk herds that are over population objectives. I assume that the hunt area will be generous enough to give hunters a fair chance to fill their tags since the purpose of the hunt is to reduce the cow population.

But who knows. Guess I will roll the dice and see what happens. You will not kill an elk by staying at home.

Last edited:
Thanks. However, the type 7 tag is restricted to the Henry Fork River Drainage within Unit 107. The legal description of unit 107 doesn't mention anything about the boundaries of that drainage. It's not a big deal at this point. If I draw the tag I will have to do more research.

Ah.... 10-4. I assume they put you in touch with the biologist Patrick? Also the game warden there is Allen and he can likely help as well.

Thanks. However, the type 7 tag is restricted to the Henry Fork River Drainage within Unit 107. The legal description of unit 107 doesn't mention anything about the boundaries of that drainage. It's not a big deal at this point. If I draw the tag I will have to do more research.

Have you looked at a topo map? That will answer your question.

Yes, but I wanted to avoid any potential ambiguity with boundary lines as with my line of work, if I get a game violation or citation I will lose my job. I assumed WY Game and Fish has delineated the boundary but maybe not.

Ah.... 10-4. I assume they put you in touch with the biologist Patrick? Also the game warden there is Allen and he can likely help as well.

Thanks. I was giving the number for a biologist named Jeff out of the Green River Office. I know they are all busy this time of year so I'll wait and try calling the game warden if I draw the tag.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back