Wyoming Elk/Deer/Antelope Trifecta

EWO

I drew an elk, deer, and antelope tag in south east Wyoming. All 3 tags are in the same general area. My plan is hunt all 3 species out of the same camp, I've tactically chosen a campsite where this is possible. Will be hunting archery initially and switch over to rifle when legal, I've allotted 3 weeks to get it done. My biggest concern is what if I tag out with an animal early in the season and what to do with the meat for up to 3 weeks. Home is too far from the hunt area to make it practical to drive the meat home.

Do any of you guys have experience with something like this? Dry ice is available in the nearest town, but I don't know how I feel relying on dry ice to keep meat frozen in a cooler for up to 3 weeks. I could take it to a processor (I prefer to process myself), but I suspect most local processors will have a storage fee for keeping meat that long. I'll give the processors a call in the next few days, but thought I'd see if any of you guys had experience or ideas with a situation like this.

I’ve taken meat/head to a processor to just hold in their cooler until I was ready to go home before.
Yup. Looking forward to hearing how the hunt goes. That would be an awesome hunt to have those 3 tags and that much time to hunt all 3!!

Reactions: EWO
Yup. Looking forward to hearing how the hunt goes. That would be an awesome hunt to have those 3 tags and that much time to hunt all 3!!
Thanks dude! It was a lot of research and a bit of luck. I've been very successful with elk in the area. Antelope are abundant and lots of public land. The mule deer ticket is a wild card because I have never hunted them before. I'm bringing a good camera and will do a trip report!

It has been my experience that most lockers will not rent freezer space in season. The one exception that I have found it Dubois, some years ago.

Reactions: EWO
That is a good idea! I will look into that. Looking like I am bringing an enclosed trailer, so the extra gear will have a home.
Id bring something to properly package the meat before freezing. Breaking the cuts down and wraping in freezer paper or a vacuum sealer. This will allow the meat to freeze faster and be protected already without the need to thaw out when you get home. Keep in mind ideally you want your meat to air cool for 1 to 2 days before freezing. Once you get the meat going in the freezer, once it's in there and frozen (will take about a day or so) you can just leave the lid tightly shut and no need to run it provided its not 90 degrees out. In 60 degree weather, we had meat in the freezer for 2 days without running and when home, it was still frozen solid.

Local meat processor for the elk and have them freeze the packages. Deer and antelope can be cut and packaged in camp then frozen via dry ice in coolers. 1/4" plywood, cut to the size of your cooler, will help the dry ice freeze the in camp processed meat. Layer the bottom of the cooler with packages of meat, place brown bagged dry ice, plywood perforated with 1" holes, another layer of meat, etc. I've used this method and has served it's purpose well.

I drew an elk, deer, and antelope tag in south east Wyoming. All 3 tags are in the same general area. My plan is hunt all 3 species out of the same camp, I've tactically chosen a campsite where this is possible. Will be hunting archery initially and switch over to rifle when legal, I've allotted 3 weeks to get it done. My biggest concern is what if I tag out with an animal early in the season and what to do with the meat for up to 3 weeks. Home is too far from the hunt area to make it practical to drive the meat home.

Do any of you guys have experience with something like this? Dry ice is available in the nearest town, but I don't know how I feel relying on dry ice to keep meat frozen in a cooler for up to 3 weeks. I could take it to a processor (I prefer to process myself), but I suspect most local processors will have a storage fee for keeping meat that long. I'll give the processors a call in the next few days, but thought I'd see if any of you guys had experience or ideas with a situation like this.

Since you are hunting all there animals form one campsite, you might look at the Koola Buck. I dont have any personal experience with one, but I believe April has used one or has one, as she is the one that first alerted me to their existence. best of luck on filling all three tags

How far from home will you be?

Here's the deal...Very few people are capable of hunting every day for 21 days. Hell a gallon of milk won't even last that long refrigerated. So you have to figure in manageable blocks of time for your hunts. 3 to 5 days. Basically you have 3 - 5 day hunts with a day on either end to resupply, handle meat, shower and refuel.

If you aren't going to bring a freezer and generator, no locker is going to hold your meat for 2 plus weeks. if you are a long way from home, you may have to spring for shipping on the Antelope and maybe the deer and have someone at home put the cut and wrapped meat in the freezer at home.

If you have a local contact in town with a freezer or somewhere to plug one in, that could be an option. I haven't investigated it but a self storage place might have a "Short Term Deal". But that would require a 110 outlet.

A 21 day Big Game Safari solo like you describe could be doable with an RV. Like a toyhauler with a chest freezer.

A big cooler, with a few blocks is of dry ice added every 3 days or so should be fine. I've kept meat frozen solid this way for a week, 3 weeks is no different except more trips/$$ for dry ice.

Jeez,

just go to the feed store in the nearest town, and ask if there's anyone who let you plug in a freezer.

Make sure to you take care of them, when the hunt is over.

Jeez,

just go to the feed store in the nearest town, and ask if there's anyone who let you plug in a freezer.

Make sure to you take care of them, when the hunt is over.

I’ve done this too, at a small vet’s office in NM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back