Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Elk Area 7 -- Difficult access? Confused...

I worked on a project near Notch Peak in that area. The streams I fished were awesome. mtmuley

I would add LaBonte, Horseshoe, and Cottonwood to your list of fishing creeks.

Sybille Creek along highway 34 has some browns and brookies. Couple of good spots to fish it.

Zone 7 is a cool place... if you go late Nov or Dec be prepared for snow covered roads bring chains and minimal recovery equipment. I would recommend taking 2 trucks if the snow starts to fly. I have had numerous cow tags in the unit over the years and usually connect on public or HMAs as long as the snow drifts don't block all the roads. Some years busting through drifts when others couldn't or wouldn't resulted in success for my group. Last year I went over thanksgiving and many of the roads were impassable due to blowing snow and we went 0-3 tags, we found the elk but couldn't get up to them for a shot due to first fog, then snow drifts, then a buddy slipping on the ice and breaking his leg...It was a trip where everything was working against us.

1591652591381.png

A lot of cottonwood is private, I cant speak for LaBonte or Horseshoe
Cottonwood is the least accessible of the three, but still has fishable water. LaBonte is the most publicly accessible.

All,

I've got a cow tag for Wyoming Area 7. I just realized on the Wyoming hunt map that it's listed as "difficult public access," and that's confusing to me because I'm looking at the map and it's got a lot of walk ins and a huge chunk of forest service land through the middle of the unit that is well covered by a few county roads that are legal to drive. So my question is, is this just listed as difficult public access because the "total" amount of public land in the unit is small in comparison to the size of the unit? Or is there something about that forest service land that I'm missing, as in, is it inaccessible?

Thanks all.

Gonna be trying to pick up a leftover in that same unit! Good luck!

As others have said, there is plenty of public land, but a lot of it is difficult or impossible to access. But there is plenty that is accessible as well. Definitely bring a shovel and tire chains and be prepared for some wind and hard snow drifts.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back