PEAX Equipment

Wyoming deer hunting question 2020

NDMuley

So I know it's a year away but I am already thinking about a deer hunt in WY for myself nephew and his 2 boys. We are heading there for goats this year so that will be exciting. My question is if you draw a tag in a general area are you able to hunt that whole area. TIA.

Download the regulations and the deer map will show you what areas of a region are part of the general tag. For instance: In region B you can hunt all but areas 10 and area 22 for buck deer with your general tag (shown in red on the side of the map). Look at the specific area on the regulation sheet and under the "License" column it will call out General or Limited Quota. You need to draw the specific area tag for limited quota areas, like an area 22-1 tag for instance. Then you can only hunt area 22 with your tag and not the rest of Region B. Or you an apply for Region B General and hunt everything except 10 and 22.

I should add that general tags for residents and for non-residents are different. Non-resident general tags are issued by region and are not available OTC. Residents can buy general tags anytime over the counter so their licenses would be good in any area statewide that lists the general tag as an option in the regs. For example, if you are a nonresident and draw a region B general elk tag, you can hunt any area in region B that specifies a general tag.

In my case, as a resident, my general deer tag if not filled during the archery deer that runs in same as rifle elk in my area, I can keep it and fill it locally close to where I live. I could theoretically do the same with the general elk tag I will be buying too but not a whole lot of elk close to Cheyenne that are publicly accessible.

Many times the different areas within the general region, will have different season dates. Usually close to within a week or so of each other. But, good idea to check that in any region you draw a general deer tag for.

Back