Wyoming cow elk unit 7

mitchparker6

This is my 1st post, and some buddies and I have gotten drawn for the type 6 cow elk hunt. We are all new to elk hunting, so we are all very excited about the hunt. We plan to head out there in mid December. I have talked to the wildlife biologist and she has helped give tons of information. She says there is an elk problem due to over population. I know to look at state lands, blm, forest service, and the hma's. I want to keep other options open too. Just wondering if anybody knows any ranchers that we could help out by getting rid of 3 troublesome cow elk eating their hay? Just trying to keep options open. We definitely aren't scared to put in the work, we all love being outdoors, are very respectful of the land and animals. Hiking a few miles to find them wouldn't be an issue either. If anybody knows someone that can help us let me know. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. A little research on Wyoming’s HMA’s and talking with the Biologist and wildlife techs will get you pointed in the right direction. I highly doubt anyone will send you any land owner contact info on your first post.

If I were you I would check some of the older threads on unit 7. It's a pretty popular unit, and I know there is some good info on the unit in old threads.

Keep mobile and be prepared to glass a lot of ground. While there's an abundant amount of elk in that area, they can be difficult to find at times. Check the WY G&F website for their Hunter / Landowner Assistance program. If you want to hunt private, some landowners may still charge a trespass fee. In mid-December there will be several Hunter Management Areas available for your use. Weather may be an issue though. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Having done this hunt, all the advice I would give has been given. Good luck! If you follow the advice above you should have a good hunt.

My wife got this tag a few years ago and we went the last week of the season Dec. 26-31, It was COLD, and some snow but not a lot. Elk were still in the Northern part of the unit for the most part, and quite hard to find. The mid/southern part of the unit is more like typical antelope country and easy to glass. We found a big herd, thought they were on an HMA, got permission to cross a ranchers land to turn a 5-7 mile hike into a 2 mile hike. When we got there we found another fence. 300+ elk just on the other side of it. Called that rancher and they would not let us in. Sat on the fence of the HMA all day, 0-5 degrees, hoping they would move our direction so she could get a shot. The rancher even said we could shoot across the fence into his if they got that close, but we couldn't hike in 1/4 mile to get a shot.. what the heck is the difference...anyway, it was still a cool experience as we got to listen to the herd communicate all afternoon as they fed. Look for the "yellow grass" areas for feeding elk. Best wishes!

I've mule deer hunted there in September, dunno what it's like in December but just judging from what we saw with a little hard work you should have a great and probably successful hunt. Good luck!

I've mule deer hunted there in September, dunno what it's like in December but just judging from what we saw, with a little hard work you should have a great and probably successful hunt. Good luck!

Thanks everybody for the replys! Yeah that doesn't make too much sense to not let you go onto his land, but if they get close enough you can shoot them on his land. Basically the same thing.

Moral of the story, use your onX map chip to find landowner names, then google them, and find a phone number. The place that let us walk across their land runs a guiding outfit during antelope season but since it was so late in the year the guy was really nice and let us cut across his land. go get em!

Back