Caribou Gear

Wyoming cow bison

Just returned from my bison hunt in Wyoming. I took a rifle after reading how hard it was to take a cow. All the animals were in the archery/shotgun zone. I ended up borrowing a friends crossbow. I got lucky with a forty yard shot then the work began!101_4216.jpg

101_4225.jpg

101_4228.jpg

Cool and congrats. I'm pretty sure I applying for a cow bison tag in Wyoming this year. What's the detail on the "archery/shotgun" zone?

Nice! Hope you could drive to it. I was just over there a couple weekends ago. Lotta elk down there this year, first time I have seen so many big bulls right by the fence/hwy.

Way to go! They have been hanging near the highway and town a lot this winter. I'd encourage anyone coming from afar to to bring a both a bow and rifle.

bdjmtn, nice post. Looks like fun. Crossbows can save the day in WY sometimes.

Are there retrieval services available if you need help?

How hard is it to find them on public land? I have read about other hunts on a refuge where it was difficult to find a cow and requires horses to get through snow. Your hunt looks different though.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Are you going to mount the head? How about the rest of the hide, tanned ? Hair on or off? I ask because I don't remember reading what others on here have done with theirs.

Someday I hope I draw so I can have this. Probably the only animal I have such desire to make my own bone-in ribeye.

20131003-bison-ribeye-02.jpg

Back