Wyoming called...she is looking for her preference point money.

MoDirt

Today is the first day you can purchase preference point this year. I know a few folks have given up on pref points in Wy and I completely understand. I will likely buy some this year and try to use them next year and then who knows.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Some solid advice would be appreciated. I have 4 elk and 3 antelope points with no intention yet to use any of them in the next few years. Do I cut my losses or hang in there?

Yea-I am really curious how the next couple of years will shake out. I plan on applying pretty much every year but I will re-access that decision about this time next year.

I’m jumping ship Wyoming essentially banned nonresidents from ever setting foot in their state with a gun. More states to follow. Rough times

I'll be buying elk, deer and pronghorn for 2 of my kids and I. We are all in the 4 - 8 point range so worth it to keep going I reckon.

I'll be buying points here pretty quick. I just use them to get whatever hunt I can get to have a ok hunt. I'm done with OTC and I don't want to to wait for a once in a life time.

Up to a whopping 3 points now for elk, deer and pronghorn.

I don't have any factual data to back this up but I do believe we will see some positive changes in the future for Wyoming for hunting. If the non-resident crowd falls off considerably the folks that watch "tourist dollar income" will look for a remedy to bring this revenue back up. How long this might take is anyone's guess. There can be some significant overall economic impact on areas of Wyoming from non-residents/tourists. Perhaps this "lost" revenue won't be missed or perhaps it will take years to realize what impact has occurred.

I certainly don't intend this to be a debate the non-resident relevance post I'm simply saying cities/towns and states are businesses and they will look to keep revenue incoming-particularly if they are presented with data to substantiate revenue losses. Of course they could always find alternative ways to make up for lost non res dollars. If that happens then it could be a bleak future for hunters overall. All of this could take several years to shake out.

I’m still in it this year for deer, elk, and antelope. It’s the only state aside from where I reside that I’ve been buying points, so it’s where my wagon has been hitched. Feels like I’m probably too late in the game to get beat the creep in others. Hunting those critters in WY will realistically probably be a once in a lifetime thing for me as per the thread @Bam Bam posted the other day.

So if a guy has zero points, as in never played the point game, is it worthwhile to start now? A couple of friends that I met on the internet are trying to convince me that I’m missing out by not donating money to Wyoming.
If you've spent your points or are just starting you'll never catch up.

There's 143k people in line in front of you.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back