Wyoming Bison Type 4 Tag

jtm307

Tell me of the problems I'm overlooking. My wife has been bugging me for a few years about taking a fall trip to the Tetons. It was her childhood yearly vacation spot and she's been wanting to go back. In the interest of forcing myself to commit to it for her, I'm thinking of applying for a type 4 bison tag. I have no interest in dealing with a full grown bison, but I like the idea of finding a calf, having bison meat to enjoy without the daunting task of hauling an adult out of the field, almost certainly solo. Besides grizzlies, potentially dealing with an angry adult defending the carcass, and finding bison in National Forest not being as easy as expected, what are problems you foresee with this plan?

I'd say you have the problems pretty well pegged. I'll send you a pm.

Getting one is not what it used to be since they are not moving to the refuge in the numbers and frequency of even five years ago. It is difficult to find a cow on NF, but every year in January a few cross onto the refuge and are taken. A handful were taken last week.

For the price, the tag is a good one. The hunt on the other hand can be problematic.
I would certainly opt for a younger cow and not a calf.
I would hunt the NF early and then have my NER permit for later.
We have done 3 cows DIY, on foot ,with aide of Tag and drag for gutting and retrieval. Hoping for a bull license soon.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back