Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Bison Tag

Mattff200

I know this isnt about MSG but to me Bison seems to be included with then since it is a once in a lifetime hunt. If it should be in a different area I will gladly move this thread to the correct location.

This past Tuesday the state of Wyoming released their draw results for Moose, Sheep, Mountain Goat and Bison. I was at work and had the window open on a screen. I entered my info at 10:00am and then went back to doing what I was doing as I expected it to take a while to refresh. I fully expected bison sheep and moose to all say unsuccessful. I had even joked with a guy at work about being excited to see how much he was getting back from Wyoming. I noticed that one of the results wasnt like the others, I then looked over and saw I drew a Bull Bison tag in Wyoming, on my first year ever applying. It still has not set that I drew the tag.

This is a special event because of the rarity if it but also because of the last year to year and a half I've had. In November 2018 I moved from New Jersey to Cheyenne Wyoming. I had visited and hunted many years and finally landed a job although it was in Greeley Colorado and I was commuting 75 miles each way. My hear was always in wyoming. In short order in came to not like my job at all for various reasons I will not get into. Last June a group of us went on a work trip 6 hours away and I was called back and fired for violating a company policy I didnt realize I was violating. I can remeber the date June 20th, Wyoming draw results for antelope and deer as I had not gained residency. I found out that I also wouldnt get the chance to hunt with my dad. He didnt draw the antelope tage I thought he would draw. I found out how great my support system is and in less than two months I landed a job that I still love near Gillette, Wyoming. I did fill my two doe antelope tags last year plus a leftover doe deer tag but drawing this bison tag is really the way to end a tough 12 months.

Sorry for the novel indonintend to do a write up of the hunt when done.

Attachments

• IMG_20200505_202342_207.jpg
    IMG_20200505_202342_207.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 63
I’ll gladly follow along on this one. Bison hunt is a bucket list adventure for me and we all know our minds need plenty of adventure planning and dreaming to keep sane these days.

Congrats on the permit! That’s awesome! I hope you have a great hunt, please post some pics and a story of the adventure!

Enjoy the hunt and your residency status. I get to hang in Wyoming for one week a year and want to go back for the other 51.

Enjoy the hunt and your residency status. I get to hang in Wyoming for one week a year and want to go back for the other 51.
Winter can be tough, going to work in negative temperatures isnt fun. But the hunting opportunities are great. Plus the people add great. Also to top it off theres no state income tax.

I know this isnt about MSG but to me Bison seems to be included with then since it is a once in a lifetime hunt. If it should be in a different area I will gladly move this thread to the correct location.

This past Tuesday the state of Wyoming released their draw results for Moose, Sheep, Mountain Goat and Bison. I was at work and had the window open on a screen. I entered my info at 10:00am and then went back to doing what I was doing as I expected it to take a while to refresh. I fully expected bison sheep and moose to all say unsuccessful. I had even joked with a guy at work about being excited to see how much he was getting back from Wyoming. I noticed that one of the results wasnt like the others, I then looked over and saw I drew a Bull Bison tag in Wyoming, on my first year ever applying. It still has not set that I drew the tag.

This is a special event because of the rarity if it but also because of the last year to year and a half I've had. In November 2018 I moved from New Jersey to Cheyenne Wyoming. I had visited and hunted many years and finally landed a job although it was in Greeley Colorado and I was commuting 75 miles each way. My hear was always in wyoming. In short order in came to not like my job at all for various reasons I will not get into. Last June a group of us went on a work trip 6 hours away and I was called back and fired for violating a company policy I didnt realize I was violating. I can remeber the date June 20th, Wyoming draw results for antelope and deer as I had not gained residency. I found out that I also wouldnt get the chance to hunt with my dad. He didnt draw the antelope tage I thought he would draw. I found out how great my support system is and in less than two months I landed a job that I still love near Gillette, Wyoming. I did fill my two doe antelope tags last year plus a leftover doe deer tag but drawing this bison tag is really the way to end a tough 12 months.

Sorry for the novel indonintend to do a write up of the hunt when done.
Congratulations on your bison tag! Make it a memory of a lifetime! This was also my first year of applying (in Utah). Good luck, I'll be looking forward for your results.

Well this just became real. Got my tag in the mail today. Still cant believe that I drew. I've already called the jackson field office and was nicely told to wait for my packet that I will get from them. Helps them communicate with me much easier. They said on average they hear from a bison hunter 30 times. Hope I'm not that annoying.

Well after almost 4 months of silence I'll fill everyone in. The weekend around the 15th of August I decided to use my three day weekends, I work four 10s at work and head out to do some scouting. I stopped 8n at fish and game, talked to the ladies there and got my kit to collect biological samples. I then headed out, attempted to find a camp on shadow mountain and then scout glassing locations on the mountain. Well after checking out a glassing spot that didnt work out I was driving down the mountain to check out another glassing point and got a flat tire. Ended up changing my tire and then making it to the bottom of the mountain and found a camping spot. Headed into Jackson to get my tire fixed and was told that the tire was unrepairable and they didnt have a tire in my size along with every tire shop in Jackson. Decided to just be a tourist and stay on paved roads and scouted some public land that had a paved road. The next day I went home and now I am the owner of 10 ply tires. Labor day weekend I headed back up to do more scouting. After getting in a little late and checking out some of the access roads I went back to camp. Next morning I found out I lost my keys. After calling 8 or 9 locksmiths got someone to come out and make me a key. I then headed kyr and checked out the elk refuge. The next day I went to check out the north end of the bison's range on the national forest. The glassing point pointed out to me on the map didnt work so I hiked and wondered around. On my way back to the truck ran into a couple people scouting of an in law. We exchanged info and found out they have a doe antelope tag around Gillette. Shared where they could go and they told me where they saw bison. Later that night heard shots south of shadow mountain that was probably a black bear or a bison. Next morning went up to cody saw the buffalo bill museums and drove back to Gillette. End of the rid wasnt fun due to snow but all in all looming forward to leaving on the 18th for 10 days. Hopefully this time the only excitement is a dead bison.

I think that you might have used up all of your BAD luck....so GOOD luck with the buff!
Thanks hoping everything goes well. Hoping to use a packer since my hunting buddy backed out and only one trip out in grizzly country is worth a lot to me.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back