Wyoming Applications

Bowhuntrben

I am looking at possibly doing a cow elk hunt in the near future to get some knowledge of the area before burning points on a bull tag. I was looking at draw odds for the reduced price cow/calf tags and noticed that tags are available in the leftover draw for some areas even though there were more first choice applicants than available tags. Where are these leftover tags coming from, and why were they not given to people in the initial draw? My only guess is that the people who applied for them also applied for a bull tag and checked the box not to take the tag if they don't draw the bull tag?

As an example:

Unit 54 Type 7

Nonresident:
Quota: 48
1st Choice Applicants: 76
2nd Choice Applicants: 16

Resident:
Quota: 301
1st Choice Applicants: 282
2nd Choice Applicants: 32

Leftover Quota: 13

That's the trouble with having a separate early elk draw for NR's...and why this is the last year it will happen.

The reason there are 13 left is because the resident side of the draw had either first or second choice applicants that drew other areas, leaving a balance of 13 in the leftover draw.

I wonder if the later drawing date will result in a decrease in applications. Wyoming has always been a no brainer because you could essentially plan your season around it.

The only thing that would decrease the applications would be if the tag cost doubled or we spiraled into another recession. I'll draw another general tag next year and then will probably switch to Type 4 tags. I'm guessing my next general after that would take 6 points.

I wonder if the later drawing date will result in a decrease in applications. Wyoming has always been a no brainer because you could essentially plan your season around it.

I keep seeing guys say nope but I do think apps will decrease for two reasons.

1. Guys will have drawn other tags by the time the Wyoming draw is done.
2. With Wyoming now charging a cc convenience fee that’s a decent chunk of money to spend if you already have hunts lined up, or spend to swing for the fence on a low odds draw.

I myself won’t spend the money to apply now until I know I should draw. I doubt I’m the only person that can do the math. Wyoming will still sell all their tags, but I see a decrease in apps and more guys just buying a point.

I doubt applications will drop but the way people apply will probably change. The way Wyoming currently is I apply to try and get a tag because once I have that tag in my pocket I can build my season around it since I know the results so early. In the future with the later draw, I will build my season around other tags and apply only in home run type units in Wyoming so if/when I don't get drawn its no big deal, if I get drawn its an unexpected bonus. Many others will probably do something similar.

That's the trouble with having a separate early elk draw for NR's...and why this is the last year it will happen.

The reason there are 13 left is because the resident side of the draw had either first or second choice applicants that drew other areas, leaving a balance of 13 in the leftover draw.

Wait, Uh, Wyoming has announced that they will not have NRs draw Elk tags in Jan after 2019?? How did I miss that?

I am amazed how many people on different sites are complaining about the 2.5 % credit card app. If you are spending 700 for an elk license, what is an extra 17 going to hurt

I'd say if you are going to draw the tag, it isn't a big deal at all. But, if you do not have great odds or are trying to get a random tag with little to no chance, they just more than doubled the amount of money yout aren't getting back.

I'd say if you are going to draw the tag, it isn't a big deal at all. But, if you do not have great odds or are trying to get a random tag with little to no chance, they just more than doubled the amount of money yout aren't getting back.

X2...

Don't apply then or just buy a point.

At $1400 for their "Special Elk License", I've taken a different attitude toward donating money to the Wyoming G&F welfare system. I no longer donate to the Access yes program, or the search and rescue fund. It's bad enough that we are required to purchase a habitat stamp in addition to our license. You would think, if its required, it would be included in the price. Its time for residents to pony up and quit crying poverty. I hunted central Wyoming this year. I was amazed at all of the $60,000 trucks hauling atv's side by sides and campers as big as my house. All with Wyoming plates. Good grief!

At $1400 for their "Special Elk License", I've taken a different attitude toward donating money to the Wyoming G&F welfare system. I no longer donate to the Access yes program, or the search and rescue fund. It's bad enough that we are required to purchase a habitat stamp in addition to our license. You would think, if its required, it would be included in the price. Its time for residents to pony up and quit crying poverty. I hunted central Wyoming this year. I was amazed at all of the $60,000 trucks hauling atv's side by sides and campers as big as my house. All with Wyoming plates. Good grief!

That is not too smart of you since both those programs are to help hunters and not the G&F "welfare system" as you sarcastically called it! Funny, but I haven't seen any Wyoming residents crying poverty on this or any other website so you're really stretching things in your rant. I guess you didn't see the same type of expensive vehicles while out there that had out of state plates?! I can't believe how much griping NRs are making of this CC fee that until this year the G&F has been shelling out to the cc companies that was running into the millions of dollars. Yes, it goes to the cc company, not the G&F. What many don't seem to realize is that any time you use a credit card you're paying a fee just like that for anything you use it for whether it's for groceries, a night out for dinner and a movie, etc. If that extra cc fee is causing everyone such a problem maybe look at how much money is spent by some on cigarettes, booze, skiing, bowling, etc. and don't think anything about it. IMHO it's because the fee had to be brought up out in the open by G&F that is causing all the criticism because only the Legislature can raise actual fees for licenses, PPs, etc. If they could have buried it in license fees like companies bury that cc fee by raising the price of their goods or services nobody would have ever known it's there.

Last edited:

Your one dollar contribution to AccessYes and S&R wont be missed, or your application/credit card fees either. Wyoming applications are setting records every year, hold your breath and stomp your feet all you want, nobody cares.

I do have Wyoming plates, but lack the 60k truck, side by sides, ATV's, and camp trailer bigger than my house. I do have a 12 year old Davis Wall Tent, a 2010 truck, and a couple half wore out pairs of meindle hiking boots though.

Sounds like the Legislature is going to have a bill for resident preference points? Any chance that'll go through? I know it's mostly opposed by Wyoming residents on this forum but not sure about other hunters in the state.

Sounds like the Legislature is going to have a bill for resident preference points? Any chance that'll go through? I know it's mostly opposed by Wyoming residents on this forum but not sure about other hunters in the state.

From what I hear and have in the past a resident PP system is about a tossup among residents. If they would just look at how the Wyoming NR system has already negatively affected many who didn't get in it in 2006 when it started, or look at the fact that youth or many of any age that are in the mid tier and lower pools for sheep and moose who won't stand a chance at a tag under the present system they have they would swamp the Legislators telling them to forget any plan and stay with a random system like it is now.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back