Wyoming application decision

kenton

After striking out on wyoming elk and new mexico elk, im applying for wyoming mule deer. I really want a tag so im looking at tags with good draw odds. I've been researching for a month and have narrowed it down to Region D. My question is, would it be better to go for less pressure on a LE tag in 78 or 79 OR have more area to hunt with the General tag? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

When in doubt, look at the harvest rates. Generally the higher harvest rate is the hunt that has more deer on public lands. I am not convinced having several 1000 extra acres of land is that important then as I can only hunt a few acres a day. Limited Entry hunts tend to have an older age class of buck if size of antlers is important. If a unit is dependent on migration then need to look at 5 year average as some years the migration is on time and other times is post-season.

79 has the higher harvest rate vs. the other two choices you mentioned. 78 has a higher % of public land than 79, though. D overall has more acres of public land though is a 10 day rifle season vs 14 days for 78 and 79. D has a lower harvest rate but have better odds to find a 170+ class in D than 78 or 79. Clear as mud?

Kenton,
I started a thread with much the same question. https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?282791-WY-Gen-Muley-tags

I still don't have a firm idea of where I want to go. while drawing odds and success rates are part of the equation, after calling and talking to a favorite Wyoming G&F biologist in Lander, I also started to consider where the most hunting pressure and vehicular traffic is found also. Some of the areas that I was really interested in hunting in Region E dropped in my priority lists pretty fast after that. Still not sure what to do, but time is running out.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back