Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Wyoming Antelope

hsargent21

Just want to make sure I understand the process. Over the last 6 years I have been buying points in Wyoming for antelope and elk. This will be the first year that I will be able to hunt. I want to keep building points but still hunt. So I plan on applying for a good unit with my first choice and for my second choice I will apply for a unit I can draw with zero points. My understanding is if I don’t draw my first choice but do my second I keep my points. Is this correct?

Yes, but understand that if you don't draw your first choice in the PP Draw you then also have another shot at your first choice in the Random Draw where you would also lose your PPs.

Yes, but understand that if you don't draw your first choice in the PP Draw you then also have another shot at your first choice in the Random Draw where you would also lose your PPs.

Which isn't too bad if you're applying for a hard to draw area. Kind of a win win if you draw in the random draw and lose the points you were building to hunt that same unit...

Husker I’m sure you are right. I may be crazy but I don’t mind waiting a little longer on a once in a lifetime antelope hunt. At least for me. Don’t get me wroug. I will hunt every year that the Air Force doesn’t have me doing something that prevents it. After I kill one trophy quality antelope I will be satisfied and will only shoot does and smaller bucks. I’m doing the same with elk. I have been putting in for 17 years in AZ. Still about 5 years from drawing that tag. In the meantime I’m shooting cows in other states. Thank you for all of the information!

Definitely try to get a couple hunts in before you cash in lots of points. You will want to learn how to judge goats & be patient ect. Don't want to wait 10+ years & get buck fever the first day & accidentally shoot a medium size goat.

I will definitely do that. Me, my wife, and my youngest daughter went this year with three doe tags in our pockets. We were able to bring three does home with us. This year I will get buck tags and some doe tags for all of us. May not be in great units but we will kill some goats. We have really enjoyed the meat. Not a lot different from the whitetail in Texas. Also plan on a cow elk hunt. Hopefully in one of the units that I may antelope hunt in a few years. Start learning the unit.

I would ask what do you consider a trophy antelope? Must it make book or just be a certain length and age?
Plenty of areas to get a true trophy with your PP. I have a book buck from an area that is not known at all for trophies.
Pick an area with lots of public access and good population numbers. We'll get count numbers in a couple of months, before the draw deadline. Some question the accuracy of winter counts but when conditions are right they can be very accurate.
Good spot to be in so have fun with your hunt.

We'll get count numbers in a couple of months, before the draw deadline. Some question the accuracy of winter counts but when conditions are right they can be very accurate.

For the most part Wyoming does not do winter antelope counts, at least not in the northeast part of the state. The surveys are done pre-hunt so they were done in late August 2018 and will not be done until August 2019. The reason for this is sightability. It can be very difficult to spot antelope when there are scattered snow (drifts behind sagebrush) on the yellow-tan prairie.

Winter conditions are monitored to determine winter-caused mortality.

The "counts" for antelope have been done for a few months now, however the count data may have not been analyzed due to hunting seasons. That information will become available during March and presented with the other big game info when the season setting meetings/open houses will occur.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
For the most part Wyoming does not do winter antelope counts, at least not in the northeast part of the state. The surveys are done pre-hunt so they were done in late August 2018 and will not be done until August 2019. The reason for this is sightability. It can be very difficult to spot antelope when there are scattered snow (drifts behind sagebrush) on the yellow-tan prairie.

Winter conditions are monitored to determine winter-caused mortality.

The "counts" for antelope have been done for a few months now, however the count data may have not been analyzed due to hunting seasons. That information will become available during March and presented with the other big game info when the season setting meetings/open houses will occur.

ClearCreek

Well crap, didn't mean to give out bad info. Thanks ClearCreek. Counts are done by transects and not in every year.
Winter kill will be monitored as stated.
Hope they don't all blow into Nebraska today.

Well crap, didn't mean to give out bad info. Thanks ClearCreek. Counts are done by transects and not in every year.
Winter kill will be monitored as stated.
Hope they don't all blow into Nebraska today.

wytex:

Not a big deal. Most folks probably think that because deer and elk surveys are done in the winter after the hunting seasons are over that antelope surveys are also done at that time.

Most G&F regions have backed off or eliminated aerial line transect antelope counts for safety reasons - three airplane crashes during those surveys in the last 20 years or so. I do not believe anyone was killed in these crashes, thankfully.

The wind is definitely blowing on the morning side of the Bighorns today!!

ClearCreek

Wytex I would have to say at this point I can’t answer that question. I have never been much of a trophy hunter. More of a meat hunter but I do want to take one quality Elk and Antelope. Me and my girls will spend the next few years hunting antelope to learn. I’m about 4-5 years from retiring from the Air Force (24 years in now). About the time I retire I should be ready for both hunts.

Trophies are in the eyes of the beholder so I understand. Many want a book buck, hard to judge that last inch or two that gets them in.
Thanks for your service and hope you get those girls hooked on hunting, if they're not already.

I would really like to see you take mature bucks, trophy or not. Leave those young 'uns to grow.
Doe hunting can be a blast, look for a trophy also: they have horns too albeit small ones.

I would be willing to bet, you won't get into much of a better unit then you can right now, with the way point creep has been going. Antelope are one of the hardest animals to judge. If your not wanting to cash points in yet, you can either go for a 2nd or 3rd choice buck tag or go for does tags and learn new areas, as well as look over as many bucks as you can.

6 points gets you great lope tag in WY. If you wait another couple or three years to build more points you not getting much of better hunt then what you can draw now with 6. So draw now and hunt...them you will be able to gather some more points towards your next hunt in few years.

That’s about where I am at. I drawing tag in another state this year for my bowhunt and plan of sitting on WY till my son can hunt with me. He is 8 this spring so I am looking at another 4 or 5 points and I will apply with him and spit the points for a good August bowhunt before he starts school.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back