Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Antelope with three points

archerynut21

So I have three Wyoming antelope points. I am worried that they will push the new bill in Wyoming through and I will not be able to hunt because of the tag cost. I have never taken an antelope, I would like a good representative buck. Just wondering what all of you would do? It’s a tricky spot to be in with three antelope points in Wyoming it seems.

Don’t spend time worrying about a bill that may or may not happen. If you have the time, go hunting this fall. If you don’t, save points and hope you can use them down the road.
If the Antelope tag price is a deal breaker for you, it might be wise to hunt in your home state and save money. Good luck.

Thanks for the input! I am from Idaho, most people might draw one any weapon antelope tag in their lives. I’ve chased them with a bow since I could hunt. Still trying, hopefully this is the year. But I’m just graduating high school this year and the money thing really would affect me. It’s hard for me to scrounge up the money as it is. I’ve been looking all around Wyoming for hunts and it just really bothers me that there is such a lack of public or access to public in units I can draw. But reading around everybody says there are tons of antelope in every unit and not to worry overly much about public land because they’re everywhere. It’s hard to believe for me, but I’ve never been east of Star Valley in Wyoming. Just a little bit skeptical.

You have plenty of time before the draw deadline. Patience young one
I agree with this and if it passes you will see some heavy point creep. Better look in that 1-2 point range to be sure. All units have good bucks.
I agree on the tag cost also my 3 buddies and I all agreed last night if this tag moves to $600 we will never apply again it's just over priced especially for a few of them that save all year to go.

You will hear the "all units have good bucks" mantra constantly, and while that is true it is also true that in the easily drawn areas those bucks are mostly found on private land. Three points is a tough spot. Areas that I used to draw with second choices are now three point areas. Three points is more than enough to get into the poor access areas, and not quite enough to get into the good access areas. All of those covid relief checks are probably going to mean more applicants for licenses - just like last year.

Three points here as well and hoping to use them this year. Been doing lots of map research, but need to make some phone calls soon.

Remember the goal is to have a sucessful hunt, you have to apply to do that and if your playing in points game tag costs should never be a defining factor. The goal is to use points (convert into a tag) as frequently as possible in areas with the best chance of success. Success is only something you can define maybe its a whatever inch buck, maybe is just not seeing other hunters, maybe its just camping under stars eating backstrap off a fire but thats up to you. The vast majority of people are working backwards trying to figure out where they can draw, you should have idea of what YOU want out of hunt and apply for a tag that can meet your expectations till you draw it. The random in wyoming gives you hope till you do draw that tag that by point is out of reach, so just apply for where you want to hunt and G&F will let you know if you can.

I would go. Pick a unit that was 2 points or less last year, that also has at least 2 or 3 chunks of accessible public (that are decent sized). With 3 points, "accessible" might mean that you walk a couple of miles to get to the larger chunks. Make sure you know which roads are publicly accessible. It's not obvious on all Wyoming maps and I recommend confirming them with the highway dept. in that county. If you can find those things, in a unit you can draw, go for it! Wyoming antelope hunting is fun and very different from any other hunting I've done. Remember that there are a lot of them and so if you have a few options for access and some room to roam (and you're willing to walk), you'll find one. The bill didn't pass, but I think the writing is on the wall. Prices are going to go way up pretty soon.

A "successful hunt" is getting out in the field. Shooting something is just a bonus. You and your buddies will have a great time together if you go with that attitude. I remember when I was a kid and we travelled to eastern Montana to hunt deer. It became such a big deal for my dad to make sure we got enough meat to pay for the trip or some part of it. Took several years for him to finally grasp all the worrying about satisfaction made the trips very unsatisfying for the rest of us. Then we started having some real quality time together hunting.

Give it a shot (pun intended) and don't worry so much about the unimportant stuff.

I would add that there are some good 1 to 2 point units in the special category (more so than regular); they may have some large amounts of private land in the mix but enough public to make it worthwhile. Just make sure you get/have OnX. I have a 3 points as well for lopes, cant tell you where I am applying, but I think I have a good shot at drawing a good lope unit. Antelope are so much fun to hunt, would care less with what happens with this bill if they left antelope splits/tag cost alone =). Only reason I go to Wyoming for. Beautiful state.

Hunt does and scout a potential buck unit at the same time.

Or just drive over and scout a low point unit during the season. Then apply there next year. 1 day of driving around and glassing will tell you more than enough.

I am put in for does at the moment, I don’t have the time to drive from Idaho to eastern Wyoming for a day lol otherwise I probably would. Thank you to all of you for the suggestions. It’s really appreciated.

I drew 46-2 a couple years ago with two points and saw a fair number of decent bucks. There are a couple of good walk-in areas but you have to get your reservation very early. I waited until the third week, avoided the weekend and saw very few other hunters. Killed a buck in the 74" range and saw a few bigger that I couldn't get on. Lots of wind and the public/private checkerboard can be annoying.

Back