Wyoming Antelope Unit 63

Kulpak02

Hey guys. My Brother and I are driving out to Wyoming from Pennsylvania around the end of September for our Antelope hunt. We drew doe tags for Unit 63. We have never hunted Antelope before so we went with doe tags in a high odds draw unit. From what I can tell on OnX Maps that area has a lot of hunting opportunity. I have been told since we are hunting doe we should have a little easier time locating and harvesting an animal. We are certainly not letting that go to our heads. We know it won't be a cake walk. We have done plenty of bear and whitetail hunting here in PA. I personally have been on a whitetail hunt in Maine and 2 elk hunts in CO. So since this is our first time we are looking for tips and tricks from anyone willing to help plus any info about our area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck this year to anyone who reads this thread!

Make sure and leave one for us, my hunting partner has a doe tag for that area. We'll head that way after we're done buck hunting in a nearby unit.

Not a problem! We are hoping to just see animals. We will be there Sept 22-Oct 1. It will be our first ever trip to WY so even if we are not successful the experience will be enough for us. Good luck and I hope you guys get!

You will see animals. Antelope will be literally almost everywhere.
You will also be close to some great fishing for after your hunt.
The flat distances will be deceiving. Bring a range finder and your kneepads and leather gloves.
You have plenty of days to fill your doe tags , are they type 6 or 7?

You will see animals. Antelope will be literally almost everywhere.
You will also be close to some great fishing for after your hunt.
The flat distances will be deceiving. Bring a range finder and your kneepads and leather gloves.
You have plenty of days to fill your doe tags , are they type 6 or 7?

Well that's good to hear! We are excited to see them while hunting instead of driving down the road. They were everywhere when we were in CO last year for our elk hunt. I definitely wouldn't have thought about knee pads! I'm glad you said that. We both have range finders and We were actually wondering about fishing. We were going to bring our poles just in case. We are looking to walk in somewhere pitch our tents and camp out somewhere for 5 days. Is that possible? Looking at Google maps it doesn't look like that will be a problem. We have type 6.

You will see plenty if antelope. I hunted unit 68 last fall which shares a border with 63 to the west. Took a nice buck the second day after seeing plenty. The task will be using the landscape in your favor. They have great eyesight. Lots of open areas. You will need to use what you can to stay out if sight. Get ready to have some fun!!

It seems the number of antelope increases the closer you get to the reservoir. There is enough feature in the terrain to afford you a good stalk in most places. Hunting antelope is nothing like hunting whitetails in PA... it WILL be a cakewalk IF you follow wytex's advice. My most challenging antelope hunts occured when I had no kneepads and no rangefinder. If you come to a ridge, get out of your vehicle and slowly look over it before driving further. Last time I hunted 63, it seemed like there were antelope over every little ridge. If I were you, I'd pick up a game bird license for sage grouse and a fishing license. Hunt antelope the first day, grouse the second, then spend the rest of the time fishing and eating antelope steaks and grouse breasts for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Hunted the area 63-2 tag back in 2012. The -2 tag is only good for the eastern portion of the unit. Antelope numbers were good, ran into several other hunters as well. It was a fun hunt and antelope were not difficult to locate. We did find a couple of rattlesnakes while hunting, and the area was fairly sandy, so it wasn't difficult to get around.

Ended up with a -6 and a -7 doe tag for the area this year as well. Haven't hunted west of Natrona cty road 410 / Carbon cty road 497 because this is the first year I've had a tag for that portion of 63. I can't comment on the western portion of the area other than driving past it on the Hwy. PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help.

Well that's good to hear! We are excited to see them while hunting instead of driving down the road. They were everywhere when we were in CO last year for our elk hunt. I definitely wouldn't have thought about knee pads! I'm glad you said that. We both have range finders and We were actually wondering about fishing. We were going to bring our poles just in case. We are looking to walk in somewhere pitch our tents and camp out somewhere for 5 days. Is that possible? Looking at Google maps it doesn't look like that will be a problem. We have type 6.

I'll be in the area hunting lopes opening weekend and then back again for deer in late October.

The fishing can be hit or miss, but generally gets better into October.

I like sculpin patterns, but rapala's should also do the trick.

I also would not discount getting a HIP number and a duck stamp trying a cast and blast if you fill your tags early.

I have seen Canada geese and Lawn Darts every time I have been out there. (Most people let the lawn darts live)

As far as places to camp. Any BLM would work and the Miracle Mile has camp sites.

There are many rattlesnakes in the area, but they pretty much keep to themselves.

I'll be in the area hunting lopes opening weekend and then back again for deer in late October.

The fishing can be hit or miss, but generally gets better into October.

I like sculpin patterns, but rapala's should also do the trick.

I also would not discount getting a HIP number and a duck stamp trying a cast and blast if you fill your tags early.

I have seen Canada geese and Lawn Darts every time I have been out there. (Most people let the lawn darts live)

As far as places to camp. Any BLM would work and the Miracle Mile has camp sites.

There are many rattlesnakes in the area, but they pretty much keep to themselves.[/QUOTE

Thank you everyone that gave us info. We are feeling pretty good about the Hunt. Plus now we know what to expect and we will have knee pads. What types of fish are we talking? I haven't done any research on the types of fish in the area and we definitely didn't think about a duck stamp! Seems like we will have a blast! Where I live I have never even seen a rattle snake. So that has me a little worried having never been around them. Just curious if they are protected. I have always wanted to try rattle snake but never had the opportunity. If their not but it's like an unwirtten you just let them be we won't bother them. I don't really want to see any but it sounds like coming across one is inevitable. Again Thanks for the info. This is a great resource for learning and gathering info. You guys are all great and I hope you all fill your tags.

I have hunted 63 four times over the years and will be back again this year. Filling the doe tags won't be hard. Practice out to 300 yards if you can. A game cart can be handy. Watch where you put your hands and butt before you place them but don't over think the snakes. I always camp just try to find a place out of the wind. Relax and have fun.

I haven't personally been to 63 but I've researched it a bit in the past. Assuming the numbers are like most other units in Wyoming, it should take you about 15 minutes to find some antelope and shoot a couple of does. You're going to be there for 5+ days? If I were you, I would definitely buy some more doe tags in one of the leftover units that are available. Those tags are in areas that have very little public land but since you're coming all the way from PA, it would be worth it for the $34 that each tag costs. I think you can buy 4 or 5 but don't quote me on that. If you don't buy more doe tags, I would definitely do what others suggested and either do some fishing, grouse hunting or something else. You will have absolutely no problem shooting some does.

I didn't draw a pronghorn doe tag, but was able to get a whitetail doe tag (different area) for the same dates. Another thing to think about.

Or you can always go tour the mountains, drive up to YNP, etc. Plenty of ways for an easterner or Midwesterner to kill time in Wyoming.

I didn't draw a pronghorn doe tag, but was able to get a whitetail doe tag (different area) for the same dates. Another thing to think about.

Or you can always go tour the mountains, drive up to YNP, etc. Plenty of ways for an easterner or Midwesterner to kill time in Wyoming.

Thanks I will keep that in mind!

I haven't personally been to 63 but I've researched it a bit in the past. Assuming the numbers are like most other units in Wyoming, it should take you about 15 minutes to find some antelope and shoot a couple of does. You're going to be there for 5+ days? If I were you, I would definitely buy some more doe tags in one of the leftover units that are available. Those tags are in areas that have very little public land but since you're coming all the way from PA, it would be worth it for the $34 that each tag costs. I think you can buy 4 or 5 but don't quote me on that. If you don't buy more doe tags, I would definitely do what others suggested and either do some fishing, grouse hunting or something else. You will have absolutely no problem shooting some does.

Thanks for the info. I hope it goes like everyone is predicting. I have looked into Grouse and fishing license. Have any of you seen any does with horns? I am guessing they get harvested when they are seen.

I have hunted 63 four times over the years and will be back again this year. Filling the doe tags won't be hard. Practice out to 300 yards if you can. A game cart can be handy. Watch where you put your hands and butt before you place them but don't over think the snakes. I always camp just try to find a place out of the wind. Relax and have fun.

Thanks for the great advice! I am guessing if we see a rattler we will walk around him and go on our way. I should be able to practice out to around 200. What would you say is the most common position we might ourselves in for shooting antelope? Prone? from the backpack? should I get some shooting sticks? I usually just find a tree around here.

every antelope I've ever shot in Wyoming has been from the prone position. I've seen scenarios where shooting sticks could be helpful but I think in a seated position resting on your pack would have done the trick in most of those situations where a guy might use shooting sticks, I've never carried them and haven't had an issue. I've shot one doe at 400 yards but all the bucks I've ever shot have usually been right at 200 yards, 1 was even right around 100 yards. no trees in Wyoming ha ha

Like stated above. Prone. I use a bipod. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. I also carry shooting sticks and have used them. Practice with the rifle you will use. Any caliber will work. I've used a 243, 25-06, 7mm-08, and a 270. All of them are the same amount of dead.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back