Wyoming Antelope Unit 63

Like stated above. Prone. I use a bipod. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. I also carry shooting sticks and have used them. Practice with the rifle you will use. Any caliber will work. I've used a 243, 25-06, 7mm-08, and a 270. All of them are the same amount of dead.

Alright Thanks! I will look up some bipods before I head out. I planned on taking my .270 out. I must say I havent done much shooting from the prone position before. I will def start practicing here at my house. I can probably practice out to about 150 here.

every antelope I've ever shot in Wyoming has been from the prone position. I've seen scenarios where shooting sticks could be helpful but I think in a seated position resting on your pack would have done the trick in most of those situations where a guy might use shooting sticks, I've never carried them and haven't had an issue. I've shot one doe at 400 yards but all the bucks I've ever shot have usually been right at 200 yards, 1 was even right around 100 yards. no trees in Wyoming ha ha

Thanks for the advice. HAHA I didnt figure running to the nearest tree was an option. I think my brother has shooting sticks so if a situation would present itself he will have them with him. I am hoping for 250 yards and under.

Lots of doe have horns and we hunt them to make it more of a challenge, finding a doe with larger horns.
Pathfinder has great walleye and trout fishing, browns, cutthroat, and rainbows. Same in Miracle Mile. Panther martin spinners and power bait. Jigging for walleye works well in Pathfinder, worms too.

I've only been out once but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Not familiar with 63 but I bought a leftover buck and doe tag in another unit and didn't have too hard of a time filling them. Def try to pick up some extra tags in a unit close by or plan on filling some time doing something else.

Both of my shots were prone so practice before you head out. One was off sticks, and the other off my pack.

Be careful if it rains. The mud is nothing like I've ever seen in PA. You won't go anywhere so don't try.

Get the antelope cooled asap. I thought the loins were better than any deer I've eaten but you need to get the meat cooled as quick as possible.

Be prepared for some confusing gates/fenses signs, etc. I came across some places that were posted very deceivingly to make you think all of the property was private when it wasn't. OnX was priceless. Touch base with the local warden before you leave and keep his contact info handy.

Most of the pronghorns I have taken were shot using a sitting position and a tall bipod. Sage often makes it tough to shoot prone.

I've only been out once but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Not familiar with 63 but I bought a leftover buck and doe tag in another unit and didn't have too hard of a time filling them. Def try to pick up some extra tags in a unit close by or plan on filling some time doing something else.

Both of my shots were prone so practice before you head out. One was off sticks, and the other off my pack.

Be careful if it rains. The mud is nothing like I've ever seen in PA. You won't go anywhere so don't try.

Get the antelope cooled asap. I thought the loins were better than any deer I've eaten but you need to get the meat cooled as quick as possible.

Be prepared for some confusing gates/fenses signs, etc. I came across some places that were posted very deceivingly to make you think all of the property was private when it wasn't. OnX was priceless. Touch base with the local warden before you leave and keep his contact info handy.

Thank you sir! All I am looking for at this point is for everyone that has 2cents and wants to share it. I and keeping track of what everyone has said and writing things down.

I have read and been told to get it cooled down as quick as possible. I cant wait to try the meat. It will hopefully be my first time trying it.

I thought about calling the local game warden before we leave and then maybe check in or keep the number with me while we are there. I also have the name and number of Greg Hiatt. From my research he is the local biologist for the area we are hunting. I am going to give him a call and ask a few questions. I am getting fewer and fewer as they get answered here but I am still going to call him. Again thanks for your 2cents it is greatly appreciated! Good luck this season bud

Forgot to mention that OnX Maps was on my list of things to get if we got drawn and about 3 weeks ago I went ahead and bought it. I figure knowing where I am and nto trespassing is going to be cheaper than a potential fine.

I was out there the past weekend and there are quite a few shooter bucks, I think I spotted 7 that were good enough for me with 5-6 that will be shooters next year.

I did not see any many does as I have in years in the past, which makes me consider eating the doe tags.

The area went from 25 doe tags to 200 doe tags this year and the unit certainly has that many does, but I am worried what this will do to the future hunting of the unit.

I became awful excited about my deer tag for this unit after spotting the biggest buck I have seen in the wild.

A few snakes and a lot of geese, white pelicans, and lawn darts in the area as well as a few other edible ducks.

The biting flies sucked.

The main road is in worse shape than the two tracks, but they do have equipment grading the road.

The fishing was skunk tough, but the competition was light.

There is nothing like having the portion of the mile to yourself throwing meat.

20621189_10213168126372907_2545819608531019527_n.jpg

20604566_10213168125692890_8294023549977776932_n.jpg

20525797_10213168127732941_3748445776992915023_n.jpg

20526199_10213168107972447_7589284940426408301_n.jpg

20597287_10213168129052974_7260495006047953396_n.jpg

20604418_10213168106932421_8696054005083888524_n.jpg

I was out there the past weekend and there are quite a few shooter bucks, I think I spotted 7 that were good enough for me with 5-6 that will be shooters next year.

I did not see any many does as I have in years in the past, which makes me consider eating the doe tags.

The area went from 25 doe tags to 200 doe tags this year and the unit certainly has that many does, but I am worried what this will do to the future hunting of the unit.

I became awful excited about my deer tag for this unit after spotting the biggest buck I have seen in the wild.

A few snakes and a lot of geese, white pelicans, and lawn darts in the area as well as a few other edible ducks.

The biting flies sucked.

The main road is in worse shape than the two tracks, but they do have equipment grading the road.

The fishing was skunk tough, but the competition was light.

There is nothing like having the portion of the mile to yourself throwing meat.

View attachment 73071

View attachment 73072

View attachment 73073

View attachment 73074

View attachment 73075

View attachment 73076

Thank you so much for the pics! I at least get to see what some of the area looks like. We are going in 100% blind. We are taking a camera also and hope to get some shots like you have here. Since neither of us have a buck tag I would like to get some photos of them. I have 2 mule deer points for CO right now and I will be burning them next year on a hunt. It will be my first so I am pretty excited about that. I really hope you find that guy during the season he is a monster!! Good luck and thanks for the info!!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back