Wyoming antelope unit 19 ??

Iowadeerhunter

I have a couple questions about this particular unit.

I gained access to a 3700 acre ranch that hasn't been hunted in 8 years. Other than aerial maps, I have not seen it. I know the unit itself is relatively small compared to surrounding units, like unit 17.

If the private ground doesn't produce a goat for my son, how is the access to all of the public land in 19??
Last year I hunted 17 and a lot of the public lands are landlocked. How about 19??

Is it worth going to 19?? Or should we just go elsewhere. Not concerned with the size of trophy, just that my son be able to harvest one.

And while were on it, what do the Mulie numbers look like in that area. I'll be getting a Mulie tag for the area.

It looks as though there is access to a large BLM section in the north west part of the unit. Rt 59 north and county road 26. Eighty four percent of that unit is private. Go to the county map server for that county it'll tell you what roads are county roads. Also look into the Blm maps. Do as much research as you can so you don't go in blind also have a good GPS with the Wyoming map chip.

No experience in that unit. When I hunt a new unit I get a map that shows public and private land. That would be the first start. Second call the Game Warden in that area. I would think that it would be Gillette.

Foremost, have you contacted the landowner and "asked" about the population of Antelope on that ranch. I would think that that would be your best option.

Good luck with your son. I took an 12 year old last year and he had a great time :)

good luck to all
the dog

I've found game wardens may not return calls to out of state numbers, especially in Colorado. Depends on the warden, though because others I've called have been great.

A better bet is to call the local BLM office and ask who covers the area you have in mind. I've even had a BLM office make me up a map with water locations on it, and they know them all. They can also tell you about the roads, closed gates, sometimes even outfitters.

Never thought about having someone make a map of watering holes! Great idea. I'll contact them for a little more info.

I'll get maps soon. They did help a ton last year. I'm going to try to get a hold of the game warden soon.
The rancher says there are goats and mulies on their property!

Never thought about the county map server. Thanks

We went without a GPS last years, by mistake. I'll never di that again.

Welcome! Just a tip for you since I see you made 3 little posts in a row involving maps inside of 4 minutes. FYI it's much easier to just hit the edit button on that first post and add on your thoughts to it than to have so many posts strung out for people to read from the same person. FYI there aren't more than 4 or 5 sections of state land that are legally accessible to hunt in unit 19, so I would make darn sure that the ranch you are going to has suitable number of antelope and deer on it before you waste $1000 or more just on license fees alone and get out there only to find out that there are no other decent possibilities to take the boy on the hunt.

Last edited:
Welcome! Just a tip for you since I see you made 3 little posts in a row involving maps inside of 4 minutes. FYI it's much easier to just hit the edit button on that first post and add on your thoughts to it than to have so many posts strung out for people to read from the same person. FYI there aren't more than 4 or 5 sections of state land that are legally accessible to hunt in unit 19, so I would make darn sure that the ranch you are going to has suitable number of antelope and deer on it before you waste $1000 or more just on license fees alone and get out there only to find out that there are no other decent possibilities to take the boy on the hunt.

Hey thank you for the tip on the posts. I didnt realize it was doing that until I'd made the replies.

I'll be doing some contacting of game wardens and the landowner this week before we apply. And thanks for the info on the public. That was what I was looking for!
Thanks again.

Hey thank you for the tip on the posts. I didnt realize it was doing that until I'd made the replies.

I'll be doing some contacting of game wardens and the landowner this week before we apply. And thanks for the info on the public. That was what I was looking for!
Thanks again.

No problem and am glad to help! Just a few quick questions for you---How did you happen to make contact with that ranch owner and are you positively sure you'll be allowed to hunt the ranch if you draw the tags and do you know how many others might be hunting it? The reason I ask is that more than once I've heard where guys think they have a ranch locked up to hunt, draw their tags, and then all of a sudden find out the rancher just leased the property to an outfitter, decided not to allow hunting, allows anyone that asks, etc. Just be sure to cover all the bases so to speak!

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that there could be a 3700 acre ranch in Wyoming without some pronghorn on it. My guess is you're going to have some fun!

No problem and am glad to help! Just a few quick questions for you---How did you happen to make contact with that ranch owner and are you positively sure you'll be allowed to hunt the ranch if you draw the tags and do you know how many others might be hunting it? The reason I ask is that more than once I've heard where guys think they have a ranch locked up to hunt, draw their tags, and then all of a sudden find out the rancher just leased the property to an outfitter, decided not to allow hunting, allows anyone that asks, etc. Just be sure to cover all the bases so to speak!

Well, last year after we drew for 17 I posted an ad on the Gillette craigslist site asking for ground. I never heard anything all summer long, we went on our hunt and filled our tags easily. The day I got back to Iowa, I got an email replying to my ad. I ended up talking with the lady who was in charge of the family ranch. She has been very responsive and from what I can tell, very open and honest with me.
But one never truly knows until the day they step foot on the ground. That's why I'm looking for tips on the unit. I dont want to apply for a unit and not have other options in case things dont work out. I do have a good feeling about this lady and guess I have no reason to doubt her word.
Were paying a small $300 fee to camp and hunt her families land.

Well, last year after we drew for 17 I posted an ad on the Gillette craigslist site asking for ground. I never heard anything all summer long, we went on our hunt and filled our tags easily. The day I got back to Iowa, I got an email replying to my ad. I ended up talking with the lady who was in charge of the family ranch. She has been very responsive and from what I can tell, very open and honest with me.
But one never truly knows until the day they step foot on the ground. That's why I'm looking for tips on the unit. I dont want to apply for a unit and not have other options in case things dont work out. I do have a good feeling about this lady and guess I have no reason to doubt her word.
Were paying a small $300 fee to camp and hunt her families land.

I find it hard to believe that there could be a 3700 acre ranch in Wyoming without some pronghorn on it. My guess is you're going to have some fun!

Or "it hasnt been hunted in 8 years" these always make me smile.... its wyoming it has goats some areas more than others but i would make sure i had permission before i applied and make sure i had a solid backup plan

Or "it hasnt been hunted in 8 years" these always make me smile.... its wyoming it has goats some areas more than others but i would make sure i had permission before i applied and make sure i had a solid backup plan

I definitely have sole permission this year. Just want a backup plan if things dont come together like I hope

I hunted 19 for goats last year. As it has been stated public land access is tricky. Burnt hollow in the NW corner of the unit is one of the few spots that can be accessed. It sounds like you have a good game plan with the ranch and I would find it hard to believe that you will have to look else where.

I hunted 19 for goats last year. As it has been stated public land access is tricky. Burnt hollow in the NW corner of the unit is one of the few spots that can be accessed. It sounds like you have a good game plan with the ranch and I would find it hard to believe that you will have to look else where.
Hey Onxhntr!

I just drew 19 this year. As you said, not much public land except for the NW parcel. Did you happen to hunt that chunk of land? I'm curious if it's "good" pronghorn habitat, looks like a bit of elevation/ponderosa pines.

Any info you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Onxhntr!

I just drew 19 this year. As you said, not much public land except for the NW parcel. Did you happen to hunt that chunk of land? I'm curious if it's "good" pronghorn habitat, looks like a bit of elevation/ponderosa pines.

Any info you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!
I also drew 19 this year, heading there from MI, most likely the 2nd week of Oct. Looking at Burnt Hollow also. I talked to BLM unit manager, and she stated they are there, but closer to the Southern portion near the road access? She also stated NO DRIVING into the unit. Waiting for my maps to verify and talk to her about this also. I also got a few messages out to gain more info.

Did you hunt Burnt Hollow, or had access to private land?

Back