Wyoming Antelope and Bird Hunting

WV Hunter

I've got 6 antelope points I am going to try and cash in next year but I'd also like to bring my Pudelpointer out and try to find some birds. I haven't researched Wyoming for upland birds and I don't see much posted on bird hunting pages compared to ND, SD, MT and some of the other western states. I have encountered a couple of grouse while elk hunting in the Medicine Bow NF. Are there areas where you can find both antelope and sharptails or other upland birds or is this wishful thinking. Anybody have some general info on bird hunting Wyoming they can offer? Thanks

Check out the sage grouse hunt areas and if the season lines up with tags you're looking at.

I was in eastern WY this fall and saw some sharpies in the pasture where I shot my antelope. Although it was a walk-in area where sharptails were not on the menu. Unit 27 takes about 6 points but I don’t know about the sharptail numbers there.

I’m personally going to try and burn 7 points this fall and hopefully walk up a sage grouse or two. Sage grouse are more central and western WY. Good luck.

I hunted antelope south of Rawlins in 2018 and saw a lot of sage grouse while scouting. Stopped in to the gun shop and bought a small game license and was able to shoot a couple. Season is around the end of Sept. so can easily combine both.

One thing to be aware of is sometimes the locals don't really know what exact species of game birds they have. Or at least that is the case in the area of Wyoming where my dad's family is from. The upland birds in our area are sage grouse and what people call chukars, but which actually aren't chukars. I have seen exactly 2 actual chukars in all of my years running around there while I have seen are quite a few Huns, which is what people are referring to when they say they saw some chukars. I don't know how this confusion actually started, but it is something I find kinda funny. I hope no bird hunters have been accidentally led into slogging up and down the canyons looking for a very small population of actual chukars when the locals really meant their are some Huns around in the easier spots.

I've got 6 antelope points I am going to try and cash in next year but I'd also like to bring my Pudelpointer out and try to find some birds. I haven't researched Wyoming for upland birds and I don't see much posted on bird hunting pages compared to ND, SD, MT and some of the other western states. I have encountered a couple of grouse while elk hunting in the Medicine Bow NF. Are there areas where you can find both antelope and sharptails or other upland birds or is this wishful thinking. Anybody have some general info on bird hunting Wyoming they can offer? Thanks
What is best state for someone who has zero points to use? #me

I hunted antelope south of Rawlins in 2018 and saw a lot of sage grouse while scouting. Stopped in to the gun shop and bought a small game license and was able to shoot a couple. Season is around the end of Sept. so can easily combine both.
That's how we do it here as residents. We go out with our shotguns and .22s.

The area I hunted antelope in last year has sage grouse and blue grouse. There are quite a few areas that you can hunt antelope and some sort of grouse or upland bird at the same time.

One thing to be aware of is sometimes the locals don't really know what exact species of game birds they have. Or at least that is the case in the area of Wyoming where my dad's family is from. The upland birds in our area are sage grouse and what people call chukars, but which actually aren't chukars. I have seen exactly 2 actual chukars in all of my years running around there while I have seen are quite a few Huns, which is what people are referring to when they say they saw some chukars. I don't know how this confusion actually started, but it is something I find kinda funny. I hope no bird hunters have been accidentally led into slogging up and down the canyons looking for a very small population of actual chukars when the locals really meant their are some Huns around in the easier spots.
I shot an actual Chukar in the Oregon Basin way back in 1987.

In 2016 I hunted antelope southwest of Casper. Got my antelope the second day then hunted sage grouse, successfully there too, then did some trout fishing on the miracle mile. Had an absolute blast on all accounts. Wyoming is a great state to hunt. Have fun.

WIth some looking, I'd think it'd not be too hard to find a unit with pronghorn and sage grouse. Don't know how possible the tags are to draw.

Where I've hunted pronghorns, I've not seen any upland birds with taking Hank the PP with me. The other option, depending on the route you take, would be to hit a pheasant state on the way home.

The area I hunted antelope in last year has sage grouse and blue grouse. There are quite a few areas that you can hunt antelope and some sort of grouse or upland bird at the same time.
Wyoming blues and antelope in the same environment? Interesting. In Montana I only encountered blue grouse in the high mountain timber. Not where I would expect to find antelope.

Personally, I don't bother with sage hens. They taste borderline awful and even if it was possible to cover up the strong sage flavour, I don't think a jackhammer could make a mature bird tender enough to chew. Sharpies are commonly found in antelope country and Huns too, especially farmed areas. Look for Huns near abandoned farmsteads or remote granaries. They seem to like hanging around human structures with no residents. Perhaps it discourages raptors? Depending on elevation, you might find pheasants where there's antelope. Higher country not so much.

Wyoming blues and antelope in the same environment? Interesting. In Montana I only encountered blue grouse in the high mountain timber. Not where I would expect to find antelope.

Personally, I don't bother with sage hens. They taste borderline awful and even if it was possible to cover up the strong sage flavour, I don't think a jackhammer could make a mature bird tender enough to chew. Sharpies are commonly found in antelope country and Huns too, especially farmed areas. Look for Huns near abandoned farmsteads or remote granaries. They seem to like hanging around human structures with no residents. Perhaps it discourages raptors? Depending on elevation, you might find pheasants where there's antelope. Higher country not so much.

Not sure how many times you’d see them by the same bush, but I can think of a ton of places in Wyoming you could shoot antelope and find blue grouse within a 15 minute drive.

Not sure how many times you’d see them by the same bush, but I can think of a ton of places in Wyoming you could shoot antelope and find blue grouse within a 15 minute drive.
Thinking about it now, the terrain I hunted for elk near Dillon last fall would fit that description. High plains with antelope surrounded by timbered peaks. Never saw a blue up in the timber but they should have been there. Did see some antelope down low but not a lot. But of course we weren't looking for them. First time I've hunted that kind of country.

Keep in mind this fella wants to hunt with his pointing dog. If elk/deer season is on, I wouldn't run a rangey dog in the timber.

Last edited:
Not that it's very common, but I have shot blues within a few hundred yards of lopes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back