PEAX Equipment

Wyoming 6pp two hunters. 2019

renello

Me and my wife planning to hunt 2019. Both 6pp. Both holding out for 80+. Would consider special draw as well. Would like advice on taking a couple additional does, the meat is wonderful on these critters. So I am curious about moisture this year in the state. Also, wonder if drawing two different units bordering each other would give us more opportunity? I have choices between units with season's opening sept 10, sept 15, sept 20 and sept 25th. What would your advice be? You can send me PM. I notice that when you chat about certain units too many people search your discussions out so I am being more general. Some years back, I guess 6 years ago we hunted a great unit but it was a poor moisture year and we both ate our tags despite hunting for a full week. Seen 20 animals in the mid to high 70's. So yeah, we eat a lot of tags all species and that is fine. It is the thrill of the hunt we love.

Plenty of options for a nice hunt. Several, if not most, units in WY will have some 80 class pronghorn though not one bedded in every sagebrush patch. Hold off applying until closer to deadline. Quotas can be cut from prior year. Winter kill, if higher than usual, is known by then. If really want to hunt this year vs. just probably hunt this year then will want to consider applying for a unit that was 100% at 5 points in 2018. If quotas cut, may need to drop to 4 point unit in 2018.

The record books say it’s Carbon County by a mile as far as big pronghorns go. I’d look at the moisture levels in that area and if you’re satisfied with the levels, I’d pick the unit that gives you the most accessible public land in that area. Good luck.

Are you both planning on holding out for a 80+? That could make the hunt unit choice a little more difficult. If that is the case, I would try and pick different units with close opener dates, or I would draw one tag this year and the other the following. But any unit you can draw in the special with 6 points, should be a good hunt.

Some great advice. I am wondering if just going with one tag between us a better option. Go for one Toad and take a few does then do it again next year. Yes, both of us will hold out for 80+. It is the challenge of trying to find an exceptional animal that motivates us. We have taken enough antelope in the 70's now. Even taken a few with bow.

Yes, I did look at where record book entries come from historically. Freemont, Sweetwater also quite solid. Be nice to see what the trend has been in the past decade but I get the idea. My short list does include 74 and 75, I am leaning to some other units however. I plan to start chatting with biologists in various units next week. The idea of getting one tag is growing on me.

Might open up some time for fishing or bird hunting both years.

Reactions: LCH
Wyoming has received really good snow and rain this year so there should be plenty of grass rather than depending on sage for food. Any if the areas in central Wyoming would get you both trophy potential plus opportunity for great tasting meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back