Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Wyoming 2023 - Need some assurance and advice

wolfpup

Can someone help me out get some Wyoming advice and clarification? I will be applying for Wyoming for 2023 pronghorn with 7 points as a non resident. Certainly not new to antelope hunting as I will be getting a CO tag every year and have private land to hunt. I just want the Wyoming experience. I have Go Hunt so I got the odds, and am toggling between that and Wyo game and fish for maps of public lands but have some questions about units that I would like someone with better knowledge of the area that can PM me or that I can even call to ask some questions. Thanks guys and gals!

At 7 points you have maybe 3 units you could draw 100% that are top notch in trophy quality. I don't know anything about Cody region area but if you find any units along Hwy 80 You will get the "Wyoming Experience" which in my mind is very similar to the "Northern Colorado Antelope experience"

I'm making my yearly trip up to WY next month and typically hunt near the Kaycee area. I'm happy to discuss the units in that area and what they have to offer if you'd like, just let me know.

Regular or special draw? Figure that out and then look at all the units that took 5-6 points last year and make a list. Any general questions?

yeah, assume that applying for a 7 pt unit might mean you don't get a tag. look at 6 point units, 5 points to be ultra safe.

i'm gonna use 3 points on a 1 point unit next year.

At 7 points you have maybe 3 units you could draw 100% that are top notch in trophy quality. I don't know anything about Cody region area but if you find any units along Hwy 80 You will get the "Wyoming Experience" which in my mind is very similar to the "Northern Colorado Antelope experience"
I should dwindle this down a bit... since I am coming from CO, will probably be thinking more of the Rawlins, Lander, Casper, Buffalo general areas. In CO I am on the eastern plains, but may jump into the Northern CO in the future on reissue tags for fun.

yeah, assume that applying for a 7 pt unit might mean you don't get a tag. look at 6 point units, 5 points to be ultra safe.

i'm gonna use 3 points on a 1 point unit next year.
That's what I was thinking. 5 or 6 point this year with a potential point creep should mean I will hunt with 7.

Haha. The worst antelope units in WY are better than 90% of all CO hunts.

Seriously if you find a unit with decent access and land… Sorry but nothing in Colorado comes close to a WY experience…

Seriously if you find a unit with decent access and land… Sorry but nothing in Colorado comes close to a WY experience…
He speaketh the truth. And it seems literally as soon as you cross into WY, antelope are everywhere. 10-20 miles away, out of state, hardly any. Even in good looking habitat. Kind of weird actually!

What is the "Wyoming experience"?
Haha. For me it is the idea that between archery and rifle I have 2.5 months to fill my tag. Allowing me the ability to look at hundreds of bucks. The ability to see 30+ bucks from one glassing location on the right day. And the ability to glass up a 130+ bucks a day…

Last edited:

I have hunted a ten point CO reissue tag and a <1 point WY unit. If I had to decide between the two hunts I would choose Wy without hesitation. Ps I am a CO resident.

Attachments

• E3D9DBF9-6FFE-4B96-8EE7-BCD22A4FC092.jpeg
    E3D9DBF9-6FFE-4B96-8EE7-BCD22A4FC092.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 39271188-B194-46AD-9AFB-ECE2520B929F.jpeg
    39271188-B194-46AD-9AFB-ECE2520B929F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
I have hunted a ten point CO reissue tag and a <1 point WY unit. If I had to decide between the two hunts I would choose Wy without hesitation. Ps I am a CO resident.
I have had several tag in both. Like you, a tag that is a resident 10+ tag in Colorado is less desirable than tags I can get second choice here in WY…

Just a different ball game for lopes in WY… Unlike anywhere else in the world…

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back