WY Unit 34 Nimmo Ranch

lovetotrapitall

Has anyone ever hunted this HMA? I hunted 34 last year and got my buck but I put in for Nimmo for opening up potential new territory and as luck would have it I actually got drawn(9/25-10/4). I was just curious if anyone has hunted it and what to expect on the ranch compared to the Northern part of the unit where I did most of my hunting last year. Thanks!

I don't know if I'll make it over to the HMA this weekend, but I'm camping in the north half of this unit to scout for rifle season/archery hunt. I have the permission slips as well, when I do make over to the HMA I'll send you a PM with what I find.

Thanks a lot sir! Much appreciated. I know I can get back on the lopes in some WIA's and state ground in the northern half but I'm curious to know what 20000 acres holds on that HMA. I'm taking my dad out with me this year so he can experience antelope hunting and having that much room to run around and not be constantly looking at my onxmaps sounds pretty fun.

Went to the Nimmo Ranch today with my kids. It was sparse. We saw a few goats along the northern border, and a few near the southern boundary. The bucks we saw were nothing special. I just have a doe tag for 34 though. After the first stalk, my youngest told me he didn't want to walk so far, so we scouted in the truck mostly. I did see a few goats on the area 38 side feeding in the hay field.

Hey JTM, thanks for the intel! Does that ranch get hit pretty hard for archery? I know the slips were unlimited for archery and rabbit hunters but I wondered how that compared to rifle. Thanks again!

Hey JTM, thanks for the intel! Does that ranch get hit pretty hard for archery? I know the slips were unlimited for archery and rabbit hunters but I wondered how that compared to rifle. Thanks again!

Last weekend was my first time there, so I can't say what pressure is like for rifle season. I didn't see another soul.

Hey lovetotrapitall I have used this HMA before. This year while out archery hunting I have seen some good sized bucks. It's a big area but very hit and miss. Some days you see herds other days you don't see anything. Alot of small hills and valleys.

Good to know Nadonc. We'll be headed out from PA on the 27th. I'll probably doing a big ride around most of the unit and hit the ranch as well. Do any of you guys deer hunt Region T/area 15? The biologist said there are plenty of 2 yr olds running around and we have deer tags too but we will probably be looking for those more so in the northern half of the unit. Thanks again!

Hey guys. I’m headed out for my first antelope hunt and I drew Nimmo for the 1st week. For those that have hunted this area during rifle season how is the hunting pressure? Also any advice for a first timer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I drove by it the other day and saw a small herd on the south side. I have a slip for Oct 15 on, I'll be happy to share what I find out and how it goes after that!

Last edited:
I was out there on opening day of archery this year dinking around with my doe tag and there were quite a few other hunters. I was honestly surprised as last year I didn't see many at all during archery season on the weekdays. In general though, I've seen a big increase in spot and stalk bowhunters the last few years. I stalked a few decent bucks out there last year during the archery season but couldn't get any closer than 60, so I never fired a shot. There's a bit of topography, but theres so little ground cover it's really hard to get really close without catching one right below a rise, and they don't hang out in those places for long. Theres a fair bit of pressure during the rifle season on Nimmo. Keep in mind people can access the state land within the HMA that is accessible from the frontage/county roads without the slip, so there may be more hunters than those that drew the slip during rifle as much of the ranch is deeded state that is accessible through normal means. At least that's the interpretation I got when I spoke to a warden about it.

I've hunted 34 a fair bit... I don't wanna get too specific as I know a few good spots on walk in that I may hunt in years to come, but if I was you guys I would look further north. Theres a lot of walk in/public that looks barren from the roads, but trust me, there's pronghorn in the folds in the landscape if you get out and walk. They don't hang out where you can see em from the roads usually, but theres good numbers up that way if you put in the leg work and find the big herds that are tucked away. I've killed a couple decent bucks in the mid 70s up that way in past years, and last year there was a bumper crop of young bucks in the northern part of the unit that should be good representatives of the species this year.

Martin Hicks, the wheatland biologist is a real nice guy and will probably be out and about during the season. If you run into him he might give you some spots to check out also.

Good info, thanks for sharing!
I heard the same thing about the state lands inside NIMMO, but then I read this:
1567602177567.png

Enforcement of it might depend on on who stops you or who you are talking too.

I've got a pronghorn doe tag for 34 and a whitetail doe for 15 (pretty much same area) and I'm just south in Wellington, Colorado. I love just poking around, hiking, and seeing areas I've never been too before... Really looking forward to spending some time in Wyoming! I've been around Vedawoo for climbing, but never been in Wyoming to hunt. Talked a buddy into getting the same tags with me so I got someone camp and hike with.

I hunted that area in 2016 and 2017 and I would echo what bullbugle307 said. Let me put it this way...I drew the Nimmo access in 2017 and I never had to head down there because I found all that I needed further north. Get out of the truck and look for white dots where other people aren't taking the time to stop and look.

Good info, thanks for sharing!
I heard the same thing about the state lands inside NIMMO, but then I read this:
View attachment 113737

Enforcement of it might depend on on who stops you or who you are talking too.

I've got a pronghorn doe tag for 34 and a whitetail doe for 15 (pretty much same area) and I'm just south in Wellington, Colorado. I love just poking around, hiking, and seeing areas I've never been too before... Really looking forward to spending some time in Wyoming! I've been around Vedawoo for climbing, but never been in Wyoming to hunt. Talked a buddy into getting the same tags with me so I got someone camp and hike with.

Yeah, on stuff like that it seems like you can never get a consistent answer out of gf. One guy will tell you one thing, one guy will tell you another. The quality of their information and lack on consistency on stuff like that really pisses me off

Yeah, on stuff like that it seems like you can never get a consistent answer out of gf. One guy will tell you one thing, one guy will tell you another. The quality of their information and lack on consistency on stuff like that really pisses me off

There is a whole thread going about lying to others about your spot. Do you think G&F folks don’t have their spots? Or do you think that with the 1000 of calls they get the should all have to read off a script so they are consistent? Sure will be nice hunting with your newest 1000 friends.

On questions of legality of access, they damn sure should be consistent. One guy says it's legal, another guy wants to write you a ticket... that's bs. No ones asking LEOs to give up their spot on a legality of access question (don't even know where you got that idea from)... besides, even if someone was asking about legality of access on a spot that they hunt, its their job to answer that truthfully about the legality of that access. They're not supposed to be out there disseminating false information to protect their honey holes. Which, trust me, the Nimmo Ranch HMA is not a honey hole by any means. It gets pounded. I jokingly call it the Nimmo Ranch pronghorn eradication program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back