WY Unit 21 Antelope Quality

25/06 Rem

I have access to a private ranch next month in Unit 21. How is the game quality there? I’ve never hunted that far north and was wondering if trophy quality is comparable to the south central area I’ve hunted before. I’m coming from TX so boots on the ground scouting isn’t possible. I really appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks - 25/05 Rem

I just came back from their. Did not see any buck that I would consider "trophy" quality at all. Was a large ranch that had lots of antelope on it, glassed it just to see what was out there, nothing special at all. If you are looking for a book antelope good luck finding it in 21

Depends on your definition of “quality” but any unit in WY has potential for big bucks and book bucks. It’s like CO for mule deer and AZ for elk. Sure there’s going to be more trophy caliber animals in certain areas than others but the potential is always there anywhere. GoHunt lists trophy potential as 70+ for that unit which is on the low end for what they list for WY. That being said if you put in 4-5 days on the glass, especially on private then I’d be very surprised if you didn’t turn up at least one buck that fits whatever your definition of quality is.

No, the trophy quality of antelope in Hunt Area 21 is not comparable to south central Wyoming. While there is occasionally a pronghorn taken in that hunt area that will maybe make the book, they are few and far between.

Most of the antelope taken in that hunt area are 12-14 inches, with most probably 12-13 inches. Northeast/north central Wyoming has a lot of antelope, just not the quality that occurs in other parts of the state.

ClearCreek

Thanks for the replies. I hunted around Douglas about 10 years ago and shot a good goat by my standards (16”/78). It looks like I may need to temper my expectations a little in that unit. It’s very positive to hear that numbers are good. I’m really just looking forward to spending some time in WY with family and getting some hunting in. I would love to shoot another big goat, but it will be a blast regardless. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back