Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wy sheep DIY unit?

CWeeks

I'm going into this years draw with 17pp as a nonresident, so at 53yo I'm thinking I'll draw before I'm too old to do the hunt. Research says unit 5 is the only unit possible for a DIY hunter, but I do have a good friend from Laramie that would go with me and get us into the wilderness without a guide. The question then becomes, are there any other units I should be looking at as we will not have horses and will be backpacking only. Thanks for any input, at $150/pp, I'd rather draw sooner than later. Clark

have you looked into the Laramie peak area? not sure which one it is. I see the sheep on BLM all the time.

If your friend is serious about helping you get into wilderness, then 7 is a good choice.

What about hiring a packer to get you deep in units like 1, 2, or 3 with plenty of good food and wall tent, and then spike out from there? Possible option? Good luck to you in the draw which ever way you chose to go!

Laramie Peak is unit 19 and took 21pts to draw, so no option there, unit 7 was on my radar if I could talk to someone with experience in the unit, hiring a packer and spiking out is a great idea I hadn't thought of, now just to find someone who would drop us in a good area even though we aren't dropping ten grand to hunt with them guided, any suggestions welcomed.

Talked to an outfitter about a drop camp and he said it is a forest service rule that prevents them from doing drop camps in the units I was interested in hunting. Says a resident with horses could take us in there as long as he was just doing it for free.

Where's your since of adventure Brad, we'll get one of those electric fences so you will sleep soundly and I'll bring a slow runner for hiking around during the day, we'll be good:)

I'm going into this years draw with 17pp as a nonresident, so at 53yo I'm thinking I'll draw before I'm too old to do the hunt. Research says unit 5 is the only unit possible for a DIY hunter, but I do have a good friend from Laramie that would go with me and get us into the wilderness without a guide. The question then becomes, are there any other units I should be looking at as we will not have horses and will be backpacking only. Thanks for any input, at $150/pp, I'd rather draw sooner than later. Clark
Did you draw a tag? If so, how did your hunt turn out?

I hunted area 19 in 1983 and in 1994. Their are some very nice rams and they like to live in the rock pile but will wonder all over the place. I hunted Laramie peak and south of Wheatland WY with little success. I did most of my hunting closer to the LaBonte Canyon area. It took 29 days in 1983 and I killed a very nice full curl Ram. In 1994 I hunted about 25 days and had 1 ram that I was looking for. He was true giant and found him one time and could have shot him in the ass but I did not take the shot before he ran off. It snowed 30 inches that night and I could never get back to were I found him. You can see sheep but finding a good legal ram can be hard. At that time there were 5 tags and the ram had to be 3/4 curl. I was able to get private land access or I could not have got to these rams.

I hunted area 19 in 1983 and in 1994. Their are some very nice rams and they like to live in the rock pile but will wonder all over the place. I hunted Laramie peak and south of Wheatland WY with little success. I did most of my hunting closer to the LaBonte Canyon area. It took 29 days in 1983 and I killed a very nice full curl Ram. In 1994 I hunted about 25 days and had 1 ram that I was looking for. He was true giant and found him one time and could have shot him in the ass but I did not take the shot before he ran off. It snowed 30 inches that night and I could never get back to were I found him. You can see sheep but finding a good legal ram can be hard. At that time there were 5 tags and the ram had to be 3/4 curl. I was able to get private land access or I could not have got to these rams.

My how things have changed in 19. I'll be in there this year. Plenty of legal rams and no private access is needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back