PEAX Equipment

WY Score

sep0667

So, I did my first western hunt last fall in WY ever, pronghorn. I can't wait to go after elk one day. Anyways, I went with a larger group, 10 of us. We were on public ground. We were not out there to hunt trophies by any means, pretty much everyone took first buck they had a chance at. I did pass one up that would have been a piece of cake, but he didn't even curl, and it was the first day. The buck I ended up shooting scored 69 3/4's. It was the largest of the group, most in the low 60's. Two others were just a smidge smaller than mine.

I know score size can vary depending on what unit you are hunting etc, but what do you think the typical buck harvested scores? I'd rather shoot a low 60's buck over eating my tag for sure, but just trying to get an idea of how selective I should be.

I am pumped to go back again already and I think I may try to be a little more selective this time around. Hoping to hunt 2022, I will only have one point so I know I wont draw most units, but I want to hunt as often as I can and not take a long time to build up points. I'm just wondering if holding out for a larger buck (70+) is realistic in hunting units that I can draw with lower points. I will likely be going with a couple other guys that will be going into 2022 with 2 points each so we will enter the draw as a group, 5 points total amongst the 3 of us.

I think a 70+ buck would be a good goal for your next trip out and would be attainable in about any area with some time behind the glass.

Any unit in WY can and does produce mid 70 bucks or better. Just got to pass the young ones. Over 70 is easily doable if you pick through them and take your time judging them. I'm more about the hunt than the score with lopes though. They are such a fun and relaxing hunt.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back