WY Region G Deer

mkc726

Asking for advise:
public land deer hunting early above or near LaBarge, Big Piney areas. I applied for Antelope in unit 93 and Deer in Region G. I am wanting to combine these hunts for mid to late Sept. I believe that I have enough point for this to happen, keeping my fingers crossed

Your thoughts?

Region G is a very good choice.I'd call the biologists out there for advise on deer areas.Thinking about getting my son a region E tag for deer since he doesn't have points for the 34 hunt like I do.E runs next to G and both have good success rates.I had a friend hunt G 3 years back and he got a very nice muley.Not sure where he hunted though and its a huge unit

Antelope in unit 93 is awesome. If you have a couple days you shouldn't have a problem finding that 80" goat.

I would hunt closer to big piney than la barge. The country gets more rugged. There are some good deer around la barge but not a whole lot of high alpine country. Most of it tops out at 9500 feet making glassing a lot tougher.

if i had those 2 tags i would go after the lope first, and look over lots of goats till i found the one i liked the whole time keeping a eye for deer. then after i bagged my lope i would go west if i didn't fill my tag in the lope area (and i wouldn't unless it was BIG) if you go over to the western half of G you will find some dandy bucks if your willing to get off the road and do some climbing. if you dont know the area i will offer you a tip: bring spare gas cans

chris

Antelope in unit 93 is awesome. If you have a couple days you shouldn't have a problem finding that 80" goat.

I would hunt closer to big piney than la barge. The country gets more rugged. There are some good deer around la barge but not a whole lot of high alpine country. Most of it tops out at 9500 feet making glassing a lot tougher.

Take this advice..... he's a local....:D , I have never hunted 93 but hunted 90-1 a few years back, should be a great hunt....
Matt

93 is a very fun hunt for antelope! We killed 2 of ours on top of a mountain. They were all over the place and on the same hillsides as the moose. We saw 7 or 8 moose that trip, that was a blast. Including one really nice bull. We took 2 average bucks and 1 pretty solid one in that 75" range, if I remember correctly.

We only had 4 days for 3 tags, which we now know is not the way to do it, but none of us had killed antelope so we were thrilled. If you have 3-4 days to devote to one tag, I would hold out for anything in the low to mid 70's or better. We looked over a lot of antelope and did not see anything near 80", except the one we took. But I'm sure there are some locals that know the nooks and cranny's better than us. We hunted October 10th-14th and did not see another antelope hunter, as expected they were very spooky by that time.

Attachments

• 5122imag0095.jpg
    5122imag0095.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 660
Resident, or non-resident?
Because it makes a difference on your ability to hunt wilderness without a guide.
Smoker bucks in G.
Probably the best genetics in any area I know of.
You get mass, inlines and cheaters.

"Resident, or non-resident?
Because it makes a difference on your ability to hunt wilderness without a guide."

He's a NR with PPs, as residents don't have PPs for deer, elk, or antelope. Region G doesn't have any wilderness area, so he can hunt any public land in the three units that G encompasses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back