Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

WY reduced cow multiple seasons?

NativeIndian

Can someone explain why there may be two rifle seasons for reduced cow? One runs from the 15th of Aug - Jan 31 and the other is a shorter season. I can't find out the difference other than that and draw odds.

Can someone explain why there may be two rifle seasons for reduced cow? One runs from the 15th of Aug - Jan 31 and the other is a shorter season. I can't find out the difference other than that and draw odds.
Need more info, type 6 vs type 7 possibly?

To distribute pressure and crowding and/or to try to increase harvest.

The GF has found, what Montana FWP fails to grasp, is that you can increase harvest by not pushing elk to hell and gone. Also that putting all the tags in one extremely long season, hunters give up long before the season ends. If you have a sub-set of tags that has a shorter season and a different "opening day" you can get people in the field to hunt those elk. Another reason is to help out landowners that may have elk on their ranches only during early or later parts of the seasons.

It makes sense what WY does, management matters. When you over-issue tags there becomes a point of diminishing returns if your goal is to get elk killed.

To distribute pressure and crowding and/or to try to increase harvest.

The GF has found, what Montana FWP fails to grasp, is that you can increase harvest by not pushing elk to hell and gone. Also that putting all the tags in one extremely long season, hunters give up long before the season ends. If you have a sub-set of tags that has a shorter season and a different "opening day" you can get people in the field to hunt those elk. Another reason is to help out landowners that may have elk on their ranches only during early or later parts of the seasons.

It makes sense what WY does, management matters. When you over-issue tags there becomes a point of diminishing returns if your goal is to get elk killed.
Thanks Buzz! That does make sense to do that. I just couldn't find any explanation for it. Both seasons you can purchase the archery tag if you want it?

If the hunt area and license type is the same for both, it's simply a date range not two different hunts. If the license types are type 6 and the other is type 7, then you would need to pick one or the other.

Thanks Buzz! That does make sense to do that. I just couldn't find any explanation for it. Both seasons you can purchase the archery tag if you want it?
Probably, but don't take my word for it. Check the archery regulations to be 100% sure.

Just saw the difference when I looked up the Elk seasons. The longer season starting in August is "off NF property".

Yes, check the Hunt Planner for season info. Lots of variables in the reduced price cow/calf licenses.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back