WY Pronghorn/Deer Doe Question

bigbear045

Hey guys,

I have a quick question about the WY application process. I am a semi-new hunter in Colorado and I want hunt WY does to gain some experience. I have a points for Pronghorn. If I apply for a doe tag does this use my points or are points only applied when applying for a buck tag? Is this the same for both deer and pronghorn?

Thank you.

Bigbear

In Wyoming there is no point system for doe deer or pronghorn. It's just a simple random draw.

In colorado, points apply to both male and female tags. There are many doe tags which require several points.

As was mentioned, no points are used for doe antelope or deer tags, and the same goes for the reduced price cow/calf elk tags.

In Wyoming there is no point system for doe deer or pronghorn. It's just a simple random draw.

In colorado, points apply to both male and female tags. There are many doe tags which require several points.

Points for a doe tag ? Wtf . I can understand points for a coveted sure thing cow elk tag but a doe deer ? That's funny stuff

Just to check my understanding, I can apply for a doe deer or doe pronghorn as my first choice and I won't lose my 2 points if I draw?

Just to check my understanding, I can apply for a doe deer or doe pronghorn as my first choice and I won't lose my 2 points if I draw?

Correct! It's a straight random, independent draw with no points used for doe deer, doe antelope, or reduced price cow/calf elk. Points are used, however, for Type 4 cow tags, as they are a full priced tag and cost the same as a bull tag.

Last edited:
Correct! It's a straight random, independent draw with no points used for doe deer, doe antelope, or reduced price cow/calf elk. Points are used, however, for Type 4 cow tags, as they are a full priced tag and cost the same as a bull tag.

Points are not used for a type 4 if drawn as a second choice....changes are coming for type 4 tags in April.

Points are not used for a type 4 if drawn as a second choice....changes are coming for type 4 tags in April.

Thanks for the clarification, but nothing was said that would intimate anything opposite of what you stated. Points aren't lost for any of the full price tags when drawn as a second or third choice or as a leftover. What might be in store for the Type 4 cow tags if you are able to tell others not in the know right now about that?

Is the type 4 cow tag a good tag ? I mean is it a high success rate ?

Success rate would probably not really come into play. They might be a good tag if you have the extra money since they're the same cost as a hard to draw bull tag, especially if the unit doesn't offer any reduced price tags, but does offer that Type 4 tag. If a unit offers both 4 and 6/7 types in a time frame that suits the applicant, it would be ridiculous to get a Type 4 tag that costs twice what a Type 6 or 7 tag does, but I see it happen every year. That's why a lot of them aren't applied for if you look at the draw odds for them and the same unit has Type 6 and 7 tags.

Last edited:
This is good stuff guys. 2 more questions.

1) In a WY random doe draw, do 2nd choice apps have the same odds as drawing as first choice app? Meaning. 100 tags. 110 1st choice apps. 50 2nd choice. does the 2nd choice have a shot?

2) Does WY take the full price of the tag when you apply or draw?

Last edited:
This is good stuff guys. 2 more questions.

1) In a WY random draw, do 2nd choice apps have the same as a first choice?

Not sure what you're asking here - think you may have dropped a word or two :)

However, 2nd choice apps work more or less the same as CO. They look @ everyone's 1st choice before going back to look @ 2nd. So - many tags will not be available as a 2nd choice.

2) Does WY take the full price of the tag when you apply or draw?

Yes - they charge the full tag fee upfront.

1) In a WY random doe draw, do 2nd choice apps have the same odds as drawing as first choice app? Meaning. 100 tags. 110 1st choice apps. 50 2nd choice. does the 2nd choice have a shot?

Gotcha -

No - 100 of the 1st choice apps would draw and 10 wouldn't. None of the 2nd choice would draw.

how does one find an estimation of season length as well? I have read all over for this and cant figure it out.

Until the Final Regulations come out in late April you'll need to look at last years seasons. Just click on this link from off the G&F site and you can then click on the antelope seasons for each unit or whatever animal you're interested in:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations#Big-Game

Last edited:
bigbear045,

Typically the seasons for LQ tags don't change that much (opening days, length etc.).

The seasons that change the most are usually the general elk and general (region wide) deer units. Typical changes are the length of the season, limitations on antlered/antlerless opportunities, etc.

The LQ areas don't seem to change as much.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back