Caribou Gear Tarp

WY General Elk - Who's In?

Tough decision. Considering jumping in with 5 just to be done with it. Clearly the points chase is looking fruitless beyond that. It's frustrating that we got here so suddenly where deep strategizing is needed for a tag that was a much easier pull just a couple years ago. All the talk about gen being like a very good LE tag in another state and better than many LE in WY is still difficult to buy into. It's probably true if you know the country well, but tough to believe for a NR with limited time to scout around. My preferred hunting is not about trophies, but about seeing some animals, getting an opportunity maybe, but equally having some peace and quiet in grand scenery and probably most importantly, some elbow room. So yes, I am afraid of having to pick a very small slice of the general area opportunity only to find it crowded like Colorado OTC.

The counter point? It's western elk hunting in 2023 -And beggars can't be choosers!

Tough decision. Considering jumping in with 5 just to be done with it. Clearly the points chase is looking fruitless beyond that. It's frustrating that we got here so suddenly where deep strategizing is needed for a tag that was a much easier pull just a couple years ago. All the talk about gen being like a very good LE tag in another state and better than many LE in WY is still difficult to buy into. It's probably true if you know the country well, but tough to believe for a NR with limited time to scout around. My preferred hunting is not about trophies, but about seeing some animals, getting an opportunity maybe, but equally having some peace and quiet in grand scenery and probably most importantly, some elbow room. So yes, I am afraid of having to pick a very small slice of the general area opportunity only to find it crowded like Colorado OTC.

The counter point? It's western elk hunting in 2023 -And beggars can't be choosers!
Randy should go back and remove and censor every single time he said something along the lines of how good the Wyoming general tag is. I blame him for this general tag mess. And he is not alone is the fall of the easy to get glory wyoming general tag

Randy should go back and remove and censor every single time he said something along the lines of how good the Wyoming general tag is. I blame him for this general tag mess. And he is not alone is the fall of the easy to get glory wyoming general tag
Didn't help but its talked about on every corner of the internet not to mention word of mouth. When you sell an above average product word travels.

With last year being 12% with <4, 5 pts this year won't be 100%, will be surprised if it is though. Think I will put in for the general. My hunting partner burned his points last year so it will be a few years before we can hopefully go again, but with luck maybe, hopefully, fingers-crossed, we will be able to hunt the WY general every 4 years or so between the two of us.

5 is automatic imo…. I have 5, buddy has 3, will go in at 4. Hoping it doesn’t jump a full point this year.
Matt
I had that option today but declined to split my points and go in with 4. I just think that’s too risky. There was already point creep before the 90/10 talk. Suggested a different combination that results in 5.33. I am comfortable at that number and am willing to share to that extent.

I have too many points (400) in too many states (8). Not interested in saving more. These gotta burn.

Last edited:
I had that option today but declined to split my points and go in with 4. I just think that’s too risky. There was already point creep before the 90/10 talk. Suggested a different combination that results in 5.33. I am comfortable at that number and am willing to share to that extent.
90/10 would of actually helped general tag applicants as it would of increased # gen tags issued, really only hurts guys that wanted max point units. Most people i am talking to are more scared of price increases, they think will bleed over to regular fees and also uncertantiy related to regional tag plans. The regionalized tags are going to be interesting to watch first few years till odds stabilize for NRs.

It’s a tough decision, have 4 pts and really considering going into the special. I think 5pts is gonna draw general this year.

90/10 would of actually helped general tag applicants as it would of increased # gen tags issued, really only hurts guys that wanted max point units. Most people i am talking to are more scared of price increases, they think will bleed over to regular fees and also uncertantiy related to regional tag plans. The regionalized tags are going to be interesting to watch first few years till odds stabilize for NRs.
Under the region concept I think the ones with lots of public are going to get extremely tough to draw, (not entirely but) somewhat independent of hunt quality.

So sad its turned into a money grab on the nonresidents. I done many guided hunts but love the DIY hunts. I really don't think they want any DIY hunters, so we all go guided. Montana has now made it very difficult for a diy hunter to draw a tag. I have my fingers crossed that point creep doesnt kill my chances of drawing Unit 38 this year.

I can’t decide what to do about WY..my family of four has an average of 4 points as a party..really want to do mule deer this year in west WY instead of elk..will the 90/10 rule effect the deer tags as well if the changes are made for 2024??

Probably not a bad plan I'm thinking 4.5 to guarantee a tag in the regular maybe even 5.
I think these are pretty close. Normally trend for the special looks like it would put the odds at about 75% with 4 pts. With the price increase it would be easy to assume it goes to 50% or lower for 4pt. It could be a LOT worse. It is hard to determine what the plan is for 40,000 or so people. Hopefully for them, 38,000 of them are under 25yrs old.

The last time I applied in a system everyone knew was going to cheapen their points was Arizona a few years ago. That was a bit easier to anticipate, as the number of 15 point holders above us was much smaller. This time it’s a whole nuther ball game. Thousands of folks at 4+ with pressure to pull the trigger. So who knows where this will go? Based on my MM poll I’m gonna guess 5.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back