Wy general elk tag archery hunt questions

2Pointer

Hi everyone... im new to elk hunting and new to this forum. I have a feeling these questions have been answered before even though i could not find anything regarding elk area 21 in WY. So, if there are other threads regarding this please let me know.

I drew a general tag in Wy... due to me starting a new job, I only will have about 2 to three days to hunt and it will be the first days of the archery season. I can head out a week or more prior for scouting though. I really dont want to "eat" my first elk tag.

1. Is 2 -3 days going to be enough time to kill a bull? (im not looking for a trophy)

2. Can i be out scouting a few days before the season starts, packing in my bow and all my gear to be out there before the season opens and stay till i leave/tag out?

3. Is area 21 a good area in Wy to achieve a goal of a bull in 2 days?

My plan so far is to head out a week prior to the season start and due some serious scouting for a few days to try to zero in on something, then try to tag out when the season opens or hopefully the next couple days after.

Any and all help would be great.

1) possibly, its hunting.
2) yes
3) haven't hunted 21 but I've yet to find a bad elk unit in who

Better to go for just a couple days than none at all. Good luck!

Elk do not come running into calls every time you set up like you see on TV. I know nothing about the unit you are hunting in, but killing a bull with a bow is no easy task, especially if your new to elk hunting. Not trying to put you down, but just trying to give you a realistic opinion. Good luck!

Yes you can kill one in 3 days. (I did it in my first WYO general tag-eve of 3rd day). BUT, the hunt doesn't end there. It took me a day and a 1/2 to get the elk and my camp out. I spent another day cutting and wrapping it.

BUT, in 2011, me and my partner hunted 13 days and we came home empty handed.

Don't know anything about 21.

It'll be tough but entirely possible in 2-3 days to fill your tag;esp. if you scout prior to season.Last time in Wy.,we called in 3 bulls before 8am on the 1st day of the hunt.things can happen quick in the rut,and you need to be ready.Expect the smaller ones to come in silent,and just show up
Where is unit 21?Sorry don't have a unit map in front of me,but I think its close to where I go

Thanks for all the replies! I know r wont be easy and I completely understand that I may get skunked either way .... I just wanted some reassurance.... 21 is southern wy western side of medicine bow

Yeah, your close to me.alot of elk in that area.Hunt hard and smart and I think you'll do fine

Nothing to add, just wanted to point out that your 1-upmanship on me is not lost... ;)

Good luck in WY!

The longer you have the scout the better. For me, the hardest part of the hunt is finding the elk. Once you find them just stick with them and ull get your bull.

If your close enough to scout the area, you should be close enough to get out for a day or two of rifle also.You can't be working 7 days a week,but you can hunt everyday in Wy.The more hunting days you can get over there the better

Ya mixed i wish i could .... im heading to TX for 6 months of training... so i will honestly get 2 days and ill be pushing for three ... i need to be in TX on the 4th. But i have a few weeks before i leave so i was going to head out early and scout a bunch then hunt.

1 pointer i apologize for my choice in names... i assure you that the points are very small :)

2 pointer,

Last year was my first time hunting in Wyoming, also with the general archery tag. I was amazed at how much fun it was, and how vocal the elk were. I was there later in the season, but in a day and a half, I had called in 8 bulls to within bow range. None of them were big, but it was an absolute blast!

Early in the season, calling can be more challenging, and hoping to kill your first elk in 2-3 days of hunting can be tough, even in a great unit. I don't personally know unit 21, but if you can scout a few days and find some elk, your chances definitely increase.

Have fun and good luck!

Many thanks,
Corey Jacobsen
Elk101.com - Extreme Elk Magazine

Attachments

• Wyoming Drawing on Bull.jpg
    Wyoming Drawing on Bull.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4,177
  • Wyoming Shot.jpg
    Wyoming Shot.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4,229
  • IMG_2498.JPG
    IMG_2498.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 5,077
Corey,
Thanks for the inspirational pictures .... I'm pretty excited just being out there and actually seeing some elk.

Here is my area 21 bull from the year after I returned from Bosnia.

Attachments

• Scan40.jpg
    Scan40.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 4,393
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back