Wy elk unit ??

mixedbag

I've been researching for my son's first elk hunt.He has 4 points going into the draws for Wy and I'm looking to apply him for either unit 33 or 45.Anybody ever hunt these units?They seem to have decent amounts of public and success rates.We would go in archery first then back for rifle if needed.think the archery season will be helpful in locating the elk.He doesn't need a trophy sized bull to be happy.I just want a hunt where we aren't around a million guys and a place with decent elk numbers.If you've hunted any of these units could you let me know your experience with it?
I'm also looking into these units because we can combine a antelope hunt in 73 and a region Y deer tag along with the elk hunt.Yes, we have the points for unit 73 antelope,and I saw some giants in there this past Oct real late in the season for them.I'm sure its a circus the first couple days for antelope in there but its a long season and I don't have to hunt the first week only if I'll be back for elk rifle.My main concern is a good elk hunt though.He's been dying to go out with me for years,and last year he didn't draw elk or antelope.Also, will his 4 points be a sure thing in 33 and 45?I'm basing my decision off odds in Eastmans but that could be a mistake.Is there another hunt app. with draws odds that are more accurate?He could also draw unit 120, but during my deer hunt this year I saw zero elk there and a lot of elk hunters seeing the same.If anyone has a better suggestion for his first elk hunt,I'm all ears.I've only done general unit elk hunts in Wy so the limited entry units are unknown to me,and only have Eastmans to base a decision
Thanks for any help !!

4 points will not get you into 45. 33 in the Special draw was 100% with 4 points in 2015.

I hunted antelope in unit 73 last year mid September and had the unit to myself (and WVhunter and his dad). There are some giants in the unit if you don't have an itchy trigger finger and can hold out a little bit. We camped on a little section of BLM land and had a herd skirting our camp within 150 yards every morning. I finally shot the biggest buck out of that herd about 1/4 mile from camp. Saw a couple of decent mule deer bucks too.

Last edited:
How long are you planning on hunting? You want to try and fill elk, deer and antelope tags? Just an elk tag is tough enough! I hope you have at least 10 days or 2 weeks for the hunt.

Also, you said you don't want to have a million hunters but with a general deer season that I believe runs the same time as elk season, there might be lots and lots of guys deer hunting. Something to think about.

Thanks steelhead,he's one point short for regular draw I see.Guess I just need to add a point to most of Eastman draw odds

And yes we would be spending at least 2 weeks hunting to fill the tags.Guess I'll have to buy him the expensive license to draw for elk

Be careful in your choice for Wyoming elk units. Some of those units that require several points are still very tough hunts, especially for a kid.

I don't think U can draw 33 in the regular draw. With 4 points. I put in for it last year with 4 points. And did not draw. The year before it was %100 percent with 3 points... I was shocked when I didn't draw. Point creep....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back