MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY deer Region Y

N2TRKYS

Anybody hunted it lately? How's the mule deer numbers in this region? What antler size would be a good representative for this region? I'm looking at doing a diy hunt in this region as a nonresident.

PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

Those questions are hard to answer with a Region the stretches all the way from the Montana border to well south of Kaycee on into the northern part of Natrona County. Deer numbers seem to be holding their own in most areas, especially on the private lands where hunter numbers and harvest is controlled compared to the public lands. Antler size is also hard to speak to since many people are happy to fill their tag with any legal buck, while others are looking for a 150" class or better buck and the latter aren't behind every bush! I would suggest you do some real digging into exactly what part of the region you want to hunt since the northern part consists of a lot of high NF land and the southern part is much more open and a lot lower elevation than up north.

Those questions are hard to answer with a Region the stretches all the way from the Montana border to well south of Kaycee on into the northern part of Natrona County. Deer numbers seem to be holding their own in most areas, especially on the private lands where hunter numbers and harvest is controlled compared to the public lands. Antler size is also hard to speak to since many people are happy to fill their tag with any legal buck, while others are looking for a 150" class or better buck and the latter aren't behind every bush! I would suggest you do some real digging into exactly what part of the region you want to hunt since the northern part consists of a lot of high NF land and the southern part is much more open and a lot lower elevation than up north.

Thinking about around Area 25 or maybe the BLM around Area 33.

Not sure I want to burn two points on it, though.

Thinking about around Area 25 or maybe the BLM around Area 33.

Not sure I want to burn two points on it, though.

I wouldn't....IMO, region y is a bit of an internet sensation. There are decent deer there, but they are buried in the timber and mahogany. Access is quite a bit worse than it looks at first. A large portion in the southern part of the unit is landlocked by private, so make sure you are positive about how you are going to access. I had some luck there a few years back hunting the northern part on leftover tags, but it is tough hunting.

Now, if you would consider bow hunting Y, that is a little different story.

I wouldn't....IMO, region y is a bit of an internet sensation. There are decent deer there, but they are buried in the timber and mahogany. Access is quite a bit worse than it looks at first. A large portion in the southern part of the unit is landlocked by private, so make sure you are positive about how you are going to access. I had some luck there a few years back hunting the northern part on leftover tags, but it is tough hunting.

Now, if you would consider bow hunting Y, that is a little different story.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, it looks pretty spotty in the south end. I've got 2 points and a couple of buddys have a point each. I don't want to waste those points, if I can wait a year or two to draw a decent tag.

If you have 2 PPs and your buddies have 1 you could probably draw a Region R tag as a party next year on the west side of the mountains and have a lot better hunt IMHO.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back