wy check points

Timely thread. I was with my wife today hunting near Farson, WY, and there was a sign indicating a check station. We pulled in, got out of the truck and walked over to talk to the warden. He just asked how our hunt was going, if we had any luck and what we were hunting for, and what unit we were hunting. Not a big deal, he didn't even check my wife's license. I talked with him for about 5 min to find out if the other hunters in the area were having any success, asked about rut activity in the area etc.. Pretty painless for us.

Game Check Stations/Road Blocks/Game Check Points must follow a very specific recipe set forth by the US Supreme Court and most state Supreme Courts. I expect all or nearly all Fish and Game Dept. Law Enforcement Divisions have laid out absolute rules in how officers set up such Check Points. I have worked at lots of check points and found many violations from Big Game infractions, weapon violations, DWI, drug possession, etc. I have had countless enjoyable conversations with sportsmen. I have also stopped and been checked by Wardens in other states while hunting in the west. I don't identify myself until after being processed through. I think it is a good idea to see what it's like from the average hunter's perspective. Game checks are a super valuable tool for both Law Enforcement and biological data collection.

Every year I have to drive from my hunting unit on the Nebraska side of Wyoming, all the way back across into Idaho to get home.

One year, I had to stop at two check stations before I was even halfway across the state. The game warden heard me say that, and he wrote me a note to give to the next station so I wouldn’t have to go through it again. Super nice guy.

A different year a game warden measured my mule deer for me. Great guy and he was full of cool information.

I think there was one near Marbleton or LaBarge one year. We had 3 elk cut & wrapped and packed in coolers on dry Ice. Handed our tags and locker receipts to the senior warden. If it wasn't for the badge, I'd a thought he was a local rancher. The young female warden went to open our coolers and he stopped her and said "they got all their meat on ice there, Just leave it be..." "you boys did good, have a nice day"

Then one year I came through Idaho and pulled in and told them we had Wyoming elk . They waved off the papers but said "can we check out your racks? Just cause we like seeing big bulls." That one was just Biologists, no Wardens.

I guess none of you have ever come into California?

Firewood.jpg

It made the 10 common wildlife violations list...

I got stopped at one between Wheatland and Laramie one time super nice people. They didn’t check our license or anything just wanted to know how much we saw that day and if we killed anything.

S
I got stopped at one between Wheatland and Laramie one time super nice people. They didn’t check our license or anything just wanted to know how much we saw that day and if we killed anything.
Sometimes they are not wardens but either biologists or volunteers. When I was 8, I went with my dad when he was a reserve warden in Idaho Springs, Colorado and watched them and tried to help where an 8 year old is usually in the way LOL. But once I figured it out, I was pulling toofs for my dad and uncle. My uncle (not the farmer one) was a full fledged game warden at that time.

Was kinda funny though. Got to see a moose brought in as an elk. A domestic cow brought in as an elk. An elk brought in as a deer. Some people just ought not be hunting in my book. Someone even brought in a donkey thinking they shot a deer.

I have went through them on both antelope trips to Wyoming, both times after having been checked in the field by a warden. He initialed and dated our tags and at the check stops, they just looked at the tag, saw his info and let us on through without checking our licenses, stamps, etc again. Wyoming has some nice game wardens.

Side note when my dad worked as a reserve warden in Idaho Springs, us kids pronounced it kinda funny. We called it Hide-A-Ho Springs.

I've had to stop at several check points over the years, as well as been approached in the field a few times (always pronghorn hunting). I think the longest I've been at a check point was 5 min. I guess I'm a sheep too, as I've never seen it as a bother.

I've stopped before just because I had a blaze orange cap on the dash. Wardens here have always been friendly and helpful. I don't mind stopping for a minute and talking with them.

They are usually friendly if you're friendly to them. I once stopped at a check station in southern WY and was being borderline harassed about 2 legally taken and tagged antelope bucks in my truck, in front of my 10 year old son. Warden DB decided to temporarily suspend the father/son inquisition, to jump in his wagon, turn on the sirens and chase down a large RV that had driven by. Turns out it was just an elderly couple passing through, not hunters. He returned to let us go, after spending 30+ minutes there, with no citations or warnings.

From your first sentence, I take you weren't so friendly to start out and he reciprocated the attitude ?

From your first sentence, I take you weren't so friendly to start out and he reciprocated the attitude ?
What makes you think that? I'm always nice to people I run into, and wardens are no different. I can think of very few times I've ever been unfriendly to anybody without very good reason.

They are usually friendly if you're friendly to them. I once stopped at a check station in southern WY and was being borderline harassed about 2 legally taken and tagged antelope bucks in my truck, in front of my 10 year old son. Warden DB decided to temporarily suspend the father/son inquisition, to jump in his wagon, turn on the sirens and chase down a large RV that had driven by. Turns out it was just an elderly couple passing through, not hunters. He returned to let us go, after spending 30+ minutes there, with no citations or warnings.

I pulled into one in WY while hunting pronghorn. I had shot a pronghorn buck in MT two days prior so that meat was on ice and still had the head in a bag as was going to get euros done once wrapped up in WY. I was popular for about 45 minutes as they tried to decide if all was kosher. This was around Kaycee. I am fine with a 5 minute wait to get to an officer and 5 minutes to check my papers but I am hunting so do not appreciate burning daylight while WY desk jockeys are looking up MT regs.

It made the 10 common wildlife violations list...

Me to #9. I forgot it at home in California the warden was very cool about it. He asked where I was staying, took my number and gave me a warning and told me to be sure to carry it next trip to Wyoming.

Back