Caribou Gear

wy check points

Tyler1215

was reading the hunt regulations preparing for my first time hunting in wyoming and came across the part saying I have to check in every time I pass one. How will I know where they are?

Marked miles in advance, typically with an e-sign saying something like “all hunters must stop”. Always thought they were kind of fun to chat with the warden/biologist manning them.

Caught me one time without my duck stamp signed, think he could tell I was about to be sick and let me off with a warning. Very nice people.

Do they have a lot of them? I'm hunting in 32 should I expect to have multiple stops a day? Thanks for the replies, I'm just trying to get an idea

They are normally just at major intersections.

how would they know you are a hunter?

do you still have to stop if you are on your way to work but plan to hunt after work?

🤣

was reading the hunt regulations preparing for my first time hunting in wyoming and came across the part saying I have to check in every time I pass one. How will I know where they are?
There will be signs. Sometimes even on the highway. If you see a sign and pass by it, you could be stopped and ticketed. I need to edit and add: In the time I have been hunting since 2005 in Wyoming, I have never been through a checkpoint ever. I have had a warden show up in the middle of nowhere and made me go to Gillette to get a duplicate because I left my deer license at home LOL. But he was nice about it. Most of them are pretty cordial and friendly and just doing their job.

There will be signs. Sometimes even on the highway. If you see a sign and pass by it, you could be stopped and ticketed.

what would be the probable cause for a traffic stop?

how would they know you were engaged in hunting?

Well isn’t this a nugget of information I missed from all my research. So even if your not packing any game meat you still need to stop?

what would be the probable cause for a traffic stop?

how would they know you were engaged in hunting?
Odds are against it but if you were to go by them in a pickup with antlers sticking out of the bed of your pickup, you could be stopped. I think most who really blow by a check station never get caught. Not enough injuns to do the job.

Well isn’t this a nugget of information I missed from all my research. So even if your not packing any game meat you still need to stop?

they want you to stop.

do you have to stop? Well they say you do....

can they stop you if you don’t? I reckon if you have some violation in plain view they could.....

they want you to stop.

can they stop you if you don’t? I reckon if you have some violation in plain view they could.....
It's more than a suggestion:

Established Check Stations, Mandatory Reporting. Every hunter, angler,
or trapper of furbearing animals shall stop and report at every check station on route to or from
the hunting, fishing or trapping area regardless if the person has wildlife in possession. Upon
request of any authorized Department representative, anyone who has been hunting, fishing, or trapping shall produce a valid license and conservation stamp, if required and special
management permit, if required, for game animals, game birds, furbearing animals or fish. Even
if the game meat or fish in possession has been cut and wrapped or processed, the person
transporting shall stop and report at the check station. Any person transporting wildlife
harvested in another state or country shall stop at check stations on their route.

It doesn't take much to articulate PC to warrant the stop.

We had WGFD staff stop and talk with us in the field to get tissue samples from antelope a couple times, but never went through a formal checkpoint with the flashing signs and roadblocks. Their staff also set up at game processors to collect samples and gather hunter data. Our interactions have been very cordial over the past five seasons.

they want you to stop.

Under Wyoming law you are required to stop. If you are ticketed for not stopping, but probable cause to stop you is needed. I am no lawyer so I can't answer beyond that. For the most part, it's kind of on an honor system with a nasty bite if you get caught not stopping. You are right, they have valid reason to believe you have committed a violation to stop you.

Here is the cite from all the G&F game booklets:

CHECK STATIONS; MANDATORY REPORTING. Every hunter, angler, or trapper of furbearing animals shall stop and report at every check station on route to or from the hunting, fishing or trapping area, regardless if the person has wildlife in possession. Upon request of any authorized Department representative, anyone who has been hunting, fishing, or trapping shall produce a valid license and conservation stamp, if required, and special management permit, if required, for game animals, game birds, furbearing animals or fish. Even if the game meat or fish in possession has been cut and wrapped or processed, the person transporting shall stop and report at the check station. Any person transporting wildlife harvested in another state or country shall stop at check stations on their route

Failure to stop could in theory result in you losing hunting privileges not just in Wyoming but in every state in the compact.

Ok sweet, so do you a certificate saying you stopped that day and are considered certified ?
Nope, but in Wyoming and Colorado they log your information. I have stopped at game check stations numerous times in Colorado but not yet in Wyoming. Just never went by one in Wyoming yet. Don't know if they just don't do as many or what. They have to see you blow by the game check station and have reason to believe you have been hunting or fishing or doing something that requires you to stop at all game check stations. Simple as that. I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for not stopping yet but I am not willing to chance that myself.

they want you to stop.

It’s probably unconstitutional. Cliven Bundy thinks so. Didn’t work out so well for him. Why would one not just stop and chat up the WY F&G guys for a bit? You might actually get some good intel on the area. Debating constitutional law with these good folks gains you nothing.

The only time I have seen game check stations (lived in Wyoming 32 years) is around opening weekend of Deer and Elk. Never anything around antelope openers. Usually near the major entrance/exit from the recreational area or coming back into town. I have been checked multiple times in the field. They will give you a paper so that when you get to the checkpoint you can show that to the Biologist/Warden. The last few times I’ve stopped at a check point they have collected lymph nodes and information to the area of harvest (used my gps coordinates from the kill site). It’s mainly data collection. Most times I end up shooting something the last half of the day and by time I get to town the game station is already closed.

Not that I wouldn't stop but I can't see how it could be legally enforced if you don't stop. Prime example: I'm from Wisconsin and drive to Idaho. As I drive through the state of Wyoming in route to my hunting destination of Idaho, how am I supposed to know it's law for me to stop at a check station in Wyoming? I didn't read the Wyoming game and fish laws to know this was required when searching rules for my Idaho hunt. Maybe the stations have signs that make it very clear that even a passerby headed to another state to hunt even needs to stop? Idk seems dicey...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back