WY bison results

Thanks for the PMs and info in the thread! We could not be more excited and still in disbelief that this is actually going to happen! With a second child on the way in December, it would be ideal to go on this hunt in October, so hopefully there will be some bulls on public that time of year. We are already scheming about our dream situation of pulling off a double on archery bulls, and whether or not we need to bring a semi refrigerated truck for all of the meat!.....and we can all dream of one dropping 5 yards form the road like Randy did this past year!!! What a pack out!

If you have access to such a truck, I personally would recommend it. I also recommend inviting a couple of friends to go with you to act as mules and help move the meat, or contact one of the companies that remove and process the meat for you. Processing a bison is a lot of work and if you have never processed beef, a bison is a lot more weight. If I ever draw as a resident, I will likely hire someone to move the bison for me and process it. The companies that specialize in removing bison and wild game generally have equipment to lift the carcass and a refrigerated container to haul it in back to the processing plant.

I also drew a bull tag. I will be trying to scout out the area this summer. Going to make it a camping trip for my son and I. Ill be happy to share info with you.
I'd love to hear what you find up there in the summer time! Look forward to staying in touch!

If you get Tag and Drag to gut and haul your bison to the road you're good. We've done 3 cows, admit ably a lot smaller than bulls. Depending on weather, temps, you may or may not need immediate cooling . Getting the hide off quick and meat onto cold ground is key. All of our cows were taken in cold weather with good snow cover. Warmer weather then get help with the cooling via a meat locker as stated. Matts Meats is a good place top call. He was out taking bison right from the gutting truck to his locker. He does like to hang them for a week though.
We hung and processed all 3 cows. They are just bigger than elk but no different,
A chest freezer you can haul up here and plug in to get cold then fill it and head home. Plug it in when you stop for hotel, many up this way have outside plugs for engine block heaters on trucks.

I'll reiterate, call regularly and talk with the folks at the Jackson WG&F Office. They will have loads of info for you.

Watch those bears mhungerford and good luck on the scouting trip.

I drew the cow tag and am planning trips for Aug, Dec and then January if need be. If there are any tag holders that want to work together, send me a message and we can chat. I'm more than willing to grab any information or whatever in August that anyone needs if you are limited to the number of trips you can make.

I'm also willing to help anyone that is processing it themselves if I'm in town. Since I have a cow tag, I'll probably be exclusively on the NER.

Anyone know about grizzlies on the NER in August? I'll have spray for sure and maybe a pistol but want to understand the situation.

You're wasting your time up there hunting in August if you have a cow tag. Those B!tche$ won't be anywhere near the NER until the snow is at least up to your butt! All joking aside, it will be beneficial to learn the country, but don't count on finding a cow anywhere near the refuge until some serious snow falls. Grizzlies have started moving onto the refuge earlier every year. They have an elk hunt out there, and they are more than happy to clean up gut piles from that. They will be around.

Persistence is the name of the game. Chances are you won't find any bulls on the refuge until a few days before the cows finally make their move, but there's always a chance. The bulls will wander onto the forest occasionally. Just a matter of being in the right spot at the right time. Check out spread creek, shadow mtn and the state section. Game and fish ladies are your friends and best resources most days. They have guys in the field following the herds daily, and although it may seem you are bugging them they are happy to help. BE SURE YOU HAVE A PLAN FOR WHEN YOU KILL ONE. THEY ARE FAR BIGGER THAN YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE! Bears are around, especially after a few carcasses start showing up. They're looking for easy food before hibernation, and have no reason to be afraid of you. I wouldn't even consider killing one after noon unless you have a bunch of guys to get it processed and hauled ASAP. Couldn't pay me enough to be in those woods covered in blood after dark.

Spread and the draws east and north of spread are typically the best areas in the early season. You can also find them on Shadow Mtn. early-mid season. The bulls are much more likely to be in those areas than cows/calves. If I recall correctly, tag-n-drag will not help you after around 2 pm because of the bear issues.

Thanks guys, I need all the help i can get. I wanted to try and use my bow but it almost sounds i will only being getting one shot unless i spend a month up there. Sounds like Tag and Drag is the way to go to get it out of there. Has anyone used Tag and Drag to guide them on there hunt?

Thanks guys, I need all the help i can get. I wanted to try and use my bow but it almost sounds i will only being getting one shot unless i spend a month up there. Sounds like Tag and Drag is the way to go to get it out of there. Has anyone used Tag and Drag to guide them on there hunt?

I hunted it last year without them.

Tag and Drag would be a good way to go if you do not own horses.

They can move so much faster than anyone else on foot.

They also call you when the bison are on the refuge.

Cow hunting can be frustrating.

They like to sit right on the border and then cross randomly.

Hunted 14 days last year and they only crossed twice.

After they crossed they were shot at and then moved onto the national forest or back into the park.

It is intense when they finally do cross.

I hunted it last year without them.

Tag and Drag would be a good way to go if you do not own horses.

They can move so much faster than anyone else on foot.

They also call you when the bison are on the refuge.

Cow hunting can be frustrating.

They like to sit right on the border and then cross randomly.

Hunted 14 days last year and they only crossed twice.

After they crossed they were shot at and then moved onto the national forest or back into the park.

It is intense when they finally do cross.

I agree. Not necessary to use them since the known areas are really not much of a secret. However, if you don’t have a plan for meat extraction you may want to contact them.

What is the rough timeline for hibernation in the area? I know it is varies year to year, but is there a time of year or conditions where one could still be aware and careful but likely facing a reduced risk of running into one?

What is the rough timeline for hibernation in the area? I know it is varies year to year, but is there a time of year or conditions where one could still be aware and careful but likely facing a reduced risk of running into one?

My understanding is they typically start denning around the end of November. The season runs from the middle of August through January (depending on when they start feeding the elk).

You might call Tag-n-Drag, I don't think they show up until Nov 1st. There are one or two other outfitters that hire out, but they are hard to get while elk and deer seasons are on.

As far as finding the bulls on NF early(Sept, Oct) the G&F in Jackson is not much help. They give good advise about the Refuge, which as far as I'm concerned is a last resort for killing a bull(It's a circus there). I have been on 7 bull bison hunts in Jackson Hole, which includes both of my bulls, and it never took more than two days, on any of those hunts, to find a bull on the Forest. 109948

Anyone got any tips on getting a bull bison out if a recovery service is not available? Trying to plan for worst case.
Sturdy pack, sharp knives and a few days?

Anyone got any tips on getting a bull bison out if a recovery service is not available? Trying to plan for worst case.
I would add lots of friends to that list!!

I wouldn’t let not having a recovery service available stop me from harvesting one though. As long as it is cold enough so the meat won’t spoil you can do it. Like the old saying goes “how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time”.

Good luck and be sure to post lots of pics and tell us the story.

If you know how to bone-out an animal, that will help. You will likely be relatively close to the retrieval routes too. Depending on how many friends are with you, and how close you are, you can get it out in a day. If you can't, I would highly recommend getting the meat in bags and getting it hung (preservation and grizz) rather than focusing on getting it to your rig.

I'm planning on Tag & Drag, but will also have a sled and 4 wheel game cart depending on the snow amounts. Neither are magic buttons, but they allow one person to haul much more per trip then on their back alone.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back