Caribou Gear Tarp

WY Antelope DIY with 2 points? Suggestions?

CGeminski

I am heading to central western Colorado in mid October for an elk hunt and I thought about the possibility of going out a few days early to antelope hunt in Wyoming where I have 2 points (plus another one when I apply this fall? Would that make 3?).

Anyway, I am trying to figure out which unit to apply for.... somewhere which has good public land access and good antelope numbers, that is also within a day's drive of Grand Junction, Colorado (less than 8 hrs).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.... Obviously, the further southwest in WY I am, the better because of my destination.... but most of those units take 4 or more points to draw.

Chris

CG---You would only be able to use the 2 PPs you already have to apply for the 2011 draw, as each PP you buy isn't good until the following year's draw.. I helped a guy hunt A27 last Fall on the opener (season is 10/1-10/15) and we saw at least five great goats (around 78"-83") the day before the opener and were on several of them opening morning. The guy missed two of them, as he literally couldn't hit a barn wall from inside the barn and then he wimped out, shot a 10" one that night and went home! You should be able to draw that unit with your 2 PPs and if you decide to put in for it and draw the tag I will tell you exactly where to go. The goats should still be there and the terrain in that 3 square mile area where we were hunting is great for spot and stalk. I'm not sure of the 8 hour drive to Grand Junction, CO, but it shouldn't be that bad as it's in the southern part of the unit about 1/2 hour north of Douglas and I-25 that you would take to CO. Let me know what you decide. I have been going out mule deer and elk hunting in western Wyoming since 1994, but have a good goat on the wall and only help others now!

Back