WY antelope and pressure

bucky1

Hey everyone, seems a lot of people here have a lot of experience with antelope and Wyoming as well. I'm starting to put together a potential lope trip in the near future, however my wife's birthday is Oct 2 and thus I will essentially NEVER likely be making the trip during what would be opening day for antelope. My question I guess is how big of deal on public land is this likely to cause? I've never hunted antelope, but would be looking at zones where I would be focusing on public access. How big of a drop off in success would you say it is from opening couple of days, to the next week? Is it still worth making the trip out from MN? My thoughts are it certainly is worth it, but should i start figuring in having to pay access fees? Any insight or personal experiences would certainly be great. Thanks

Later can be better. And, many of the units in the western and central part of the state open in early or mid-September, so that might fit your schedule.

No bad time to hunt antelope in Wyoming - every day is a good day when hunting antelope.

Public land is a big deal, unless you are OK with paying a tresspass fee. Then, public land is not an issue and you will be able to find tags in most units in the Eastern part of the state.

question about draw

one other question, as i was going over draw odds the other day, am i reading it correctly where some units will do a special draw where if you are willing to spend basically double on the permit, you are in a lot better situation in terms of drawing??

one other question, as i was going over draw odds the other day, am i reading it correctly where some units will do a special draw where if you are willing to spend basically double on the permit, you are in a lot better situation in terms of drawing??

Sometimes, but not always...and I wouldn't say a lot better. Do you have any points or are you going in with zero points?

Check this out http://oyoa.hunterstrailhead.com/huntsearch.php?ST=WY

Also go through the antelope forum here...lots of past threads.

I have gone out to Wyoming almost every year since 1994 and you can still do well and not have to put up with the crowds if you wait until the second week. In fact, I hardly ever go out until the second week when almost all the nonresidents have gone home. The previous post is incorrect in that there is a special draw for all nonresident tags for deer, elk, and antelope that costs a lot more to enter than the regular price draw. Normally it does raise your draw % a lot and many times it is 100% even without Preference Points. The 14 1/2" buck in my avatar was taken in 2009 on BLM land just a few days before the end of the season late in October.

Last edited:
We also always hunt the second week. Seldom do we ever see another hunter. Have taken 2 that just miss B&C . The key to a good buck is to leave your bullets out of your gun for a day or two.

I killed my bigger buck the last week of rifle.I was all alone on a HMA in Wy.You'll definitely see more if you hunt the 1st day as they are being bounced back and forth by all the hunters.I was almost by myself this year on the 2nd day of season, and was able to complete a stalk without the buck being spooked by other hunters.I enjoy the first day, but prefer later on with less hunters
You can make an opening day in the unit I hunt;opened Sept 11th this year.I can give you some imfo on the unit and Hunter Management area if you want;just send me a pm

there is no reason to pay for the more expensive tag if you are applying for an area that is 100 % draw for the less expensive tags ... example is area 29 in WY .... therefore .. the more expensive tags do not always increase your odds to draw

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back