Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

wy 21 lope

About all I can offer is to have a good map along with a GPS with landownership chip in it, There is a decent amount of BLM you can access off the southern boundary road and a couple roads that go up into the unit off of it. Be prepared to see lots of orange and definitely camp out and have chains with you for your vehicle.

Also don't forget to check for WIA's and such on WY. website me and a buddy made a quick trip into there 2 years ago he tagged his goat in 30 minutes in a WIA we saw tons of goats just need a good map and always know where you are the HuntX maps will be your best buddy in that unit. We hunted last week of season without issues and little hunting pressure the two days we drove around the unit. We stayed in town I think Gillette but there was some nice little places there in Douglas but very limited space there.

CCC sratch that info just remembered we were in 20 stayed in Kaycee 21 is the unit south. I would still use some of that advise though.

All I can add is YES a Garmin GPS with the chip is very necessary in my opinion, at least for us non residents. I could go on forever, but don't go without it and some paper maps, so you can stay orientated as to where you are at all times. You will have antelope in a big "field" with no fences and have to determine if they are on private or public land. Also take more cooler space than you think you will need. I filled mine full of frozen milk jugs/etc. and taped the lids shut and insulated with sleeping bags. Plenty of good ice many days later. If you are bringing the head and cape home like we did that will take one cooler each as well. Also watch videos on gutless method of field dressing your animal. We quartered our first one but boned the 2nd one right on the spot. It saved us a lot of weight and hassle later to have it boned already. Cool that meat as fast as you can. Best wishes and thank you for your service. I look forward to hearing about your hunt.

All I can add is YES a Garmin GPS with the chip is very necessary in my opinion, at least for us non residents. I could go on forever, but don't go without it and some paper maps, so you can stay orientated as to where you are at all times. You will have antelope in a big "field" with no fences and have to determine if they are on private or public land. Also take more cooler space than you think you will need. I filled mine full of frozen milk jugs/etc. and taped the lids shut and insulated with sleeping bags. Plenty of good ice many days later. If you are bringing the head and cape home like we did that will take one cooler each as well. Also watch videos on gutless method of field dressing your animal. We quartered our first one but boned the 2nd one right on the spot. It saved us a lot of weight and hassle later to have it boned already. Cool that meat as fast as you can. Best wishes and thank you for your service. I look forward to hearing about your hunt.

Great advice. Do not take lightly the advice about the coolers. Antelope meat is more critical than deer or elk, as far as getting it cooled quickly. The quicker that it is cooled the better the meat is and it is great meat.

I will also be hunting that area I live in Casper and will be bow hunting the area. I will try and give you as much info as I can from my scouting trips and hunting trips good luck to you out there!

I wouldnt even try to hunt those antelope out west without the GPS and chip I am from VA. so I know what your use to there if you go afield. Out west is totally different little or no fences and if there are fence half of the time they just placed them in the easiest route to do the job. Everything is in blocks pretty much also touch base with the local warden if you have trouble. We did and 30 minutes later my buddy was standing over his first antelope guy was super nice and put us right on them. Also take a doe help the landowners out. Kaycee is a very small town but super nice people if you call the town hall they can get you lots of info but there was some rooms at a little place looked to be booked up by hunters that I would have loved to have stayed in there by the gas station right in the middle of lope county just minutes away. Matter of fact if the lope my buddy took would have been 200 yards across the road it would have been in Unit 21

Last edited:
I hunted 21 last year. I didnt draw my unit again.. 5th year in a row. Thank you Wyoming.

I am not and will not ever hunt it again. We have the Garmin with the land boundary maps but it doesnt do you any good if the public land is land locked and gates are up with padlocks.

We attempted to take a BLM road on BLM land and a pissy land owner had locked it up. im not a law breaker, but according to my map and GPS, it was BLM land.

The landowner had put up a sign saying private. I called BLM the next day and they said its public land and there shouldnt be a padlock!! :BLEEP:

We went back and it was still locked up, so I took the bolt cutters to it and proceeded down the BLM road to where another land owner, not the same one, had put up his own gate and padlock.

I again checked the map and GPS.. never left BLM land. So another padlock went down.

We finally followed the road back to FS land where we never hit another padlock. We found out why the landowners near the BLM had done that... There were some monster mule deer in that area right near the roads. They have outfitters that come in and work that country with paying clients. They also felt since they graze their cattle on it, it belongs to them... smh.

I called BLM the following day and told them I had cut both padlocks and if the rancher that grazed the BLM had a problem with it, to call me. I left my number with them, but never got a call.

they knew they were wrong and found someone that took them to task. Most people just see a gate and think crap, its private. Make sure to check your maps and GPS chip!! You just may be on public land!!!

With that and several other experiences over by Kaycee, I wont go back. Not many places to camp unless you go deep into 21, but then there arent many antelope. Its mostly mule deer and elk country.

We are hitting a different unit this year to see what happens.. it has way more public land!!

Good luck over there and dont let a land owner buffalo you if you know you are correct and have a GPS with a chip to prove you are correct. Game and Fish carry the same exact Garmin and chip I do. Lock your location on the GPS, take pictures with the GPS of where you are and hold the ranchers accountable! Thats just me though :D

we did take two ok antelope.

Attachments

• 1387336361963.jpg
    1387336361963.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,051
  • IMG_20131015_090800_511.jpg
    IMG_20131015_090800_511.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,049
Nice work. Love hearing stories about landowners posting public land as private and hunters cutting the locks.

We hunted 21 a couple of years ago and stayed in Casper at La Quinta. Right off the freeway and very convienent,had a good breakfast buffet every morning which really helped. Was about a 30 min. drive to the southern boundary of 21. And do not forget the landowner chip for the gps!

Good for you WesternMarksman, as there is a lot of that kind of crappola going on everywhere out there by landowners and outfitters. With the chips for our GPS equipment now, I hope a lot more people take bolt cutters with them and if they are sure there are in the right then cut the locks and go hunting! Those people that put up those locked gates obviously knew they were violating the law and that's why they didn't call anyone. What ticks me off is I'd bet the G&F knows where a lot of that is going on and they just turn their heads to it so they can stay at peace with the tax paying landowners in their area.

Good for you WesternMarksman, as there is a lot of that kind of crappola going on everywhere out there by landowners and outfitters. With the chips for our GPS equipment now, I hope a lot more people take bolt cutters with them and if they are sure there are in the right then cut the locks and go hunting! Those people that put up those locked gates obviously knew they were violating the law and that's why they didn't call anyone. What ticks me off is I'd bet the G&F knows where a lot of that is going on and they just turn their heads to it so they can stay at peace with the tax paying landowners in their area.

Exactly...how many landowners ever get in trouble for this garbage....few to none would be my guess.

I drew 21 this year. Guess I better bring the bolt cutters.

we packed the grinder with the cutting wheel (got inverter in truck and ext cord), broke my bolt cutters few years back, but equally prepared :D

cant wait to get out there

Be caredul of landlocked blm land. As I understand, if there is not a county or state road going by or through it stay out. Sometimes pricate roads will look kust like public. I agree though that it shouldn't be that way. I agree, I would never go without that landowner info on my gps

Last edited:
Sounds like boltcutters are becoming mandatory equipment for hunting in Wyoming. Good to hear that some of this crap is being fixed.

Attachments

• thCAS4P6KZ.jpg
    thCAS4P6KZ.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 763
Be caredul of landlocked blm land. As I understand, if there is not a county or state road going by or through it stay out. Sometimes pricate roads will look kust like public. I agree though that it shouldn't be that way. I agree, I would never go without that landowner info on my gps
True that

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back