WY 2021 elk #1

BuzzH

Filled the first of 3 tags today. Helped a couple friends earlier with their elk so thought I'd try today.

Nothing fancy, find elk, put a mile long stalk on.

Shoot 1.5 year old cow as to not orphan a calf. Ruger M77 6mm Remington, 90 grain accubond, 194 yards tight behind shoulder, 10 steps and done deal.

21407.jpeg

Bullet under hide after going through a rib and back edge of shoulder blade, retained 54 grains.

IMG_20210828_16314703012.jpg

How far was the pack out? I have a cow tag that's open right now as well, maybe the same area as you. Something about packing an elk when it's 85 degrees out makes me hesitant.

Congrats on the cow. Sure seems early for a rifle season to me but that just because I’m from Kentucky where we don’t get the rifles out until November. Good job sir.

How far was the pack out? I have a cow tag that's open right now as well, maybe the same area as you. Something about packing an elk when it's 85 degrees out makes me hesitant.
Just a pinch over a mile one way, 1.24 to be exact.

I'm not scared at all of shooting elk in 80+ degree weather. Get it off the bone, in the shade, and/or in the wind. Meat cools pretty quickly.

I also pack 2 frozen quart water bottles that I place right in the middle of boned meat in the game bags while packing them.

Have a cooler to put the meat in when I get to the truck.

No big deal...just need a plan.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back