Yeti GOBOX Collection

WTF ( white tail fawn)

chasendeer

I made a mistake on a WTF ( had a doe fawn tag and could not tell it was a fwan) in Wy last fall, it was the best tasting mistake I've ever made. I think I will try to take 2 or 3 whitetalls a year in Wyoming (as long as they don't raise the prices).
What do you think about the white tails? Do you like them better tham a mule deer.
Jay

Whitetails are a different animal when it comes to eating. Good stuff.

The only other reeealy good deer I've had were mule deer killed near the Pacific Crest Trail in Central Oregon.

Blacktails are OK, but after a while begin to taste like deer meat.

Every ones tastes are different. My favorite venison is corn feed Pa deer. My soninlaw (lucky) got an big bodied pa buck and a Colorado cow this year. I made elk chili last nite and it was ok but the deer taste better in my opinion. Although I enjoy hunting elk a lot more.

I've never ate a bad whitetail. Our agriculture deer taste a little better than the mountain variety, but I'd take either over elk any day.

I shot a BBD this year. Baby buck down. I shot it in late Oct in MN. I shot it on purpose. It was in a bonus area that I was not going to hunt again for the remainder of the year and I just wasnt seeing much for deer. I took the chops and tenderloins as well as two roasts. I ended up with 27 pounds of scrap. I cut the deer up myself so I was getting everything I could out of it. Medium rare chops cut to 4 inches is like prime rib. Marinate with Montreal Steak Seasoning, some Bearnaise sauce and that is very fine eating. I have served this to many friends who said they do not like the taste of deer. All of them thought it was fantastic. I tell them you can have bad beef steaks as well. Too many people overcook wild game. That I think is this biggest problem.

Back