Caribou Gear

wtf rmef

RobG

Tell me some bitter child hacked into David Allen's account. I just got an email from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation about Montana's SB 245 - and there is room for debate on both sides regarding this bill - but in this email Mr. Allen said
Recently both chambers of the Montana Legislature overwhelmingly passed SB 245, legislation allowing for late season cow elk hunts to enhance elk management and increase hunter opportunity in Montana. The measure now sits on Governor Steve Bullock’s desk awaiting his signature; however he is now under pressure from cries for a veto from pseudo-sportsmen groups.

Pseudo-sportsmen? In a mass email to membership? Really? I'm more than half tempted to send all my Bugle magazines back with a big FU. And I don't even think it is a bad bill.

Last edited:
Here is the whole letter. I would have loved to hear their perspective, and I almost called them to get it because this bill doesn't seem that bad, but RMEF seems more interested in using my money to attack other conservation groups that don't march to their drum.

ya I'm pissed.
RMEF Montana Members,

Urge Governor Bullock to sign SB 245 into law

Recently both chambers of the Montana Legislature overwhelmingly passed SB 245, legislation allowing for late season cow elk hunts to enhance elk management and increase hunter opportunity in Montana. The measure now sits on Governor Steve Bullock’s desk awaiting his signature; however he is now under pressure from cries for a veto from pseudo-sportsmen groups.

Groups behind the veto effort are again advancing their anti-landowner agenda by using destructive terms such as “harborers” in reference to private property owners. The same groups are also painting this legislation as creating custom late season hunts for outfitters. Neither of these characterizations is accurate and simply represents more than 25 years of anti-landowner agenda. Furthermore, it is ironic that these groups classify this as a political whim of the legislature when on other occasions they are the first ones to praise the benefits of legislation that meets their political agenda.

SB 245 addresses the fundamental fact that 70 percent of Montana is owned by private landowners and effective elk management must involve private lands. The strategy forwarded by these groups to demonize and attempt to hold hostage landowners has done nothing to improve access opportunities or elk management. In fact, wildlife managers face a greater challenge today in managing big game populations as a direct result of this agenda.

Working with landowners and other shareholders associated with our wildlife resources, and using good faith and negotiation is the only path to effective wildlife management in this state. SB 245 is a measure that provides wildlife managers with an additional tool to address elk populations in units that are over objective. And, it provides hunters with access to private lands late season to effect that management. This is good for elk, good for hunters and good for landowners.

Plain and simple, this is an elk management bill—nothing more and nothing less. State-based management lies at the heart of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. The contention by groups that this bill somehow undermines the North American Model is simply more political posturing.

Those who continue to play the self-driven, finger-pointing game continue to drive serious and long-lasting wedges between sportsmen and landowners. It is time for this behavior to stop.

Please urge Governor Bullock to sign this bill into law: [email protected] or https://governor.mt.gov/Home/Contact/shareopinion

Sincerely,

M. David Allen
RMEF President/CEO

My thoughts exactly. I have received letters from several organizations (none of which I consider to be pseudo-sportsman) in opposition to this bill. I have no problem with RMEF voicing their opinion in the email that we received tonight, however condemning organizations that often side with RMEF on most other issues, is classless.

Maybe someone should send David Allen a link to the Map of Montana that shows the 7 million acres of leased lands. There's reasons to be concerned about any direction that might head to more leased lands.

Expect the worst while hoping for the best here.

RMEF are into feel good types of legislation in Montana. They supported the mentoring bill while upwards of 65% of Montanan's feel that it's not a good idea.

They would do nothing on HB 212 or SB 334 pro sportsman bills. Neither did the MWF.

Opportunity does spawn recruitment of hunters. That's the part I'm cautiously optimistic about.

RMEF are into feel good types of legislation in Montana. They supported the mentoring bill while upwards of 65% of Montanan's feel that it's not a good idea.

Speaking of the "Mentoring Bill," it looks like that has passed as an amendment to HB 140 and is waiting for the Gov's signature. For me, that is a good thing...but I selfishly want to take my 2 year old hunting in 8 years :D

David Allen's actions here are garbage.

Largely due to the info on this forum, I re-became an RMEF member last year, after a couple year hiatus I took from giving them money after they chit the bed with their support, albeit temporary, of the Roadless Area Release Act a few years back.

My personal opinion is that SB 245 does not give hunting in Montana a net-gain in terms of its utility. But regardless, pseudosportsmans groups? WTF does that mean?

Has David Allen been reading the selected works of Will Coogin? I am about done with RMEF. I feel like this is a "fool me twice" scenario.

Last edited:
I'm tired of sportsmen falling for the "opportunity" bullchit with bills like this.

Hunters are being used as nothing more than an antlerless elk, herd management tool, by the legislature and the landowners/outfitters.

There's an 11 week season in place already that landowners can utilize to control elk numbers...and the commission already has the authority to establish late seasons, damage hunts, etc.

This is unneeded legislation and if David Allen believes this crap is "good for hunters, good for elk, and good for landowners"...he needs to recalibrate his compass...as its not pointing north.

I sure hope the same level of contempt is held toward David Allen's emotion based rant here that other Montana based groups have been scolded for in the not too distant past.

Hello pot, this is kettle...WOW!

I'm tired of sportsmen falling for the "opportunity" bullchit with bills like this.

Hunters are being used as nothing more than an antlerless elk, herd management tool, by the legislature and the landowners/outfitters.

There's an 11 week season in place already that landowners can utilize to control elk numbers...and the commission already has the authority to establish late seasons, damage hunts, etc.

This is unneeded legislation and if David Allen believes this crap is "good for hunters, good for elk, and good for landowners"...he needs to recalibrate his compass...as its not pointing north.

I sure hope the same level of contempt is held toward David Allen's emotion based rant here that other Montana based groups have been scolded for in the not too distant past.

Hello pot, this is kettle...WOW!

^^^^^^^This is really spot on.

I think honest sportsmen's groups can disagree on pieces of legislation without disparaging the motives of other groups. Pounding those kind of rhetorical wedges is only bad for conservation and hunting. I'm disappointed with RMEF's choice of words here, and as longtime member, told them so..

I guess I would really like to know what groups David Allen is claiming are comprised of "pseudo-sportsmen", and why.

A little Google search of "pseudo-sportsman" brought up some interesting reading material.

The truth about pseudo “sportsmen” and “wildlife” groups like these can be found at www.greendecoys.org.
Link

Could Montana Hunters and Anglers Action be simply a front for what is really just another radical environmental group? A group with a political agenda? Let’s take a look at those who head this pseudo sportsmen’s organization - Toby Bridges
Link

Who wrote this email?

I guess I would really like to know what groups David Allen is claiming are comprised of "pseudo-sportsmen", and why.

A little Google search of "pseudo-sportsman" brought up some interesting reading material.

Link

Link

Who wrote this email?

I'm madder now than when I went to bed because I spent all night thinking about Coggin and his "Green Decoy" smear campaign against these same groups. Allen essentially just endorsed that smear campaign using the same words.

Shameful, he could have used the opportunity to explain why they think the bill is a good thing. Since Allen doesn't have the skills to see that perhaps he should get his W-2 from Coggin directly.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

I let my subscription to Bugle magazine expire and I wil not watch the RMEF tv show anymore and I am no longer a member. I also got tired of the "Be one with the elk" BS, and "Revel in their majesty" mantra.
For some reason it took me a while to realize that almost all the hunts on their show are done on private property.
While I know that enhancing elk habitat on private land does improve elk hunting on public land I would rather see the fruits of my hard earned money in the form of contributions to be highlighted by conducting their hunts on public land.
Just my .02 worth.

So you are butt hurt over the RMEF saying other groups are "pseudo-sportsmen groups". Of all the vile names you guys use to on here to call other hunters who you disagree with and that is the term bothers you guys?

That is some interesting stuff. Are there any pseudo-sportsmen groups claiming they speak for all Montana hunters? I suspect there are some.

When ever anyone gets that offended by a fairly mild term, it usually means there is a nugget of truth in the use of the term.

Nemont

So you are butt hurt over the RMEF saying other groups are "pseudo-sportsmen groups". Of all the vile names you guys use to on here to call other hunters who you disagree with and that is the term bothers you guys?

That is some interesting stuff. Are there any pseudo-sportsmen groups claiming they speak for all Montana hunters? I suspect there are some.

When ever anyone gets that offended by a fairly mild term, it usually means there is a nugget of truth in the use of the term.

Nemont

That is crap Nemont and you should know it. RMEF is a worldwide organization that should be run by professionals with the goal of promoting habitat, etc. It is not a bunch guys on a talking off the cuff on a bulletin board. Allen could have taken the opportunity to educate RMEF's members on why it supports this bill. Instead, perhaps because Allen is merely incompetent, perhaps not, they furthered the agenda of the people trying to undermine public lands conservation.

Or Mr. Allen stated exactly what his belief is having had worked with other groups.

Are there "pseudo-sportsmen groups" out there?

Nemont

Or Mr. Allen stated exactly what his belief is having had worked with other groups.

Are there "pseudo-sportsmen groups" out there?

Nemont

I don't share their concerns on this issue, but I don't think MWF is a pseudo-sportsman's /anti-landowner group. They aren't the only ones that expressed concern about this bill either.

There are many ways to make a point without burning down the village. Mr. Allen was paid $235,854 in 2012/13. For that kind of money you should expect competent leadership, not knee jerk reactions that further the bad guys' agendas.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back