Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WTB a "Puffy jacket" as well as any other light to mid-weight gear.

bigdonniebrasco

I am a LATE in life onset hunter, with the typical family obligations etc.

At 50 years old I am just starting to try and collect all the gear I need. I went on my first Western hunt last year (pronghorn) and I had to borrow a rifle as I only own one rifle...a used 30/30. This year my budgeted hunting gear/50th birthday present will hopefully be a Tikka .270 and a scope.

This leads me to my question. As I live in Kansas, I am all set for heavy cold weather gear, but where I am lacking is more in the mid range. I looked at some prices online for puffy jackets and just about fell over! My wife would kill me if I asked to spend that much on a jacket!

I think a puffy type jacket or something similar (light and packable) would be great for my Wyoming backpack. I could care less about how worn, or stained or faded it is as long as it functions. I am still hunting in 20 year old hunting gear that I got for free LOL! The pants are size 44 and I am a 34... a good belt does the trick! :)
Craigslist boots and some camo I still have from being in the ARMY 30 years ago!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not poor, and I don't want to come across as needing "charity", I'd just rather funnel the bulk of my income to taking care of my kids.

Thanks guys! ...................... BTW, I am a large in most things. 5'11" 180

Don

Last edited:
There are some buy/sell/trade groups on facebook for high quality used hunting gear (Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite, etc.) although sometimes they ask full retail. One of my favorite puffy coats is actually a Primaloft model that Cabela's introduced a couple of years back, though I don't see it on their website anymore. I think I payed $29 for it during a "New This Week" Sale, so I am not afraid to get it dirty, and wear it near the campfire saving my more precious pieces for the woods. It weighs 10oz or so.
I also peruse sites like Craigslist searching for the above key words. Something will pop up. Just hope it's in your size. Good luck Don
*Disclaimer- I have zero affiliation with any of the above sites.

Derek

Thanks for the ideas! but I'll NEVER get a FB account! LOL

And Cush ... you get all my gear, and old underwear when I die.

* might be snug on you

Keep an eye on camofire.com. They sell new hunting gear at deep discounts. A while back they were selling Core4 puffy jackets at something like 65% off. I've bought several items from there.

KUIU has somethings in their outlet that bring the price down. The Teton insulated jacket weighs nothing and would be just what you're looking for.

Check out places like REI, Sierra Trading Post, or used clothing stores in your area. No reason you have to buy hunting clothes from a "hunting" brand.

I bought one from sportsman guide that was like $35, i never wore it hunting but i wore it on sub 20 degree days last year to work and it worked great.

The Patagonia Nano Puff jacket is phenomenal. Expensive, but you can usually find some good deals for 40% off or so. There are also quite a few other companies out there that make pretty much the same jacket. Whatever you end up getting, buy one with a hood. It makes a huge difference in comfort level when things are just a little (or a lot) shitty out.

Look outside of the 'hunting' brands for clothes. My trail has pretty good prices on their stuff and backcountry/steep and cheap usually have good deals on big name stuff

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back