PEAX Equipment

WTB 6 person tipi with stove

npaden

I'm working on a hunt this year in Montana with my brother and he is pretty much completely without any decent gear.

I've got stuff for myself for lightweight backpack type hunting, but nothing that would be comfortable for 2 guys especially if the weather got snowy and we ended up stuck inside a tent for a day or so.

So I'm looking for something that will fit 2 or 3 guys plus their gear. I would prefer something like a seek outside tipi or kirafu tipi or one of the wyoming lost and found ones in the 5 to 7 person range.

Ideally this would be something that we could car camp out of or move it up the trail a ways on our backs and base camp out of it.

I missed out on the sweet deal on the 5 man lostandfound tipi a couple weeks ago but maybe someone else has something similar gathering dust that I can put to good use.

You can send me a PM or email or just post here.

Thanks, Nathan

FWIW, a guy on another site had to get tough/legal to get his money back from WY Lost and Found for goods not produced after payment. Just a suggestion, but you might want to steer clear unless you are getting them second hand.

Okay, I ended up pulling the trigger on a blemished 6 man tipi from Seek Outside today.

Now I'm looking for a stove if anyone has one available or knows of any good sales.

Thanks, Nathan

I went with an Ed T stove for my seek outside but if I was to do it again I'd look at the Hill People Gear stove. A little heavier and a little more expensive but it looks like a better stove

I was going to chime in about the 2nds sale SeekOutside was having but you seem to have found it.

I use the Lite Outdoors titanium stove...http://www.liteoutdoors.com/ for my lightweight setup. I haven't used it in really cold conditions but it will just about cook you out of the tent when temps are below 30 degrees. For car camping situations I think I'd go with a stainless steel stove to save some $ OR use a MrHeater Buddy with a 20lb propane tank adapter.

I had an EdT stove and now have a seek outside. To me, the weight saving on the EdT isn't worth it. The seek outside is significantly sturdier and less temperamental than the EdT.

The SO will nearly hold together just by its construction. Once you get the EdT figured out it works well, but there were a couple of times that I wish I had a third hand in trying to assemble.

Okay, I ended up pulling the trigger on a blemished 6 man tipi from Seek Outside today.

Now I'm looking for a stove if anyone has one available or knows of any good sales.

Thanks, Nathan

I just bought a 6 man as well and am anxious to try it out.

Right now I am leaning toward the Lite Outdoors XL one for $285ish with an 8' pipe. Large hinged door, and long enough you don't have to spend all day chopping tiny lengths of wood. Really the only drawback is you can't even order a spark arrestor even as an add on.

Hard to spend $400 for the seek outside large version and the medium seems like it would be too small to fit much of anything. Their doors seem like a pain to open the way they slide too.

I may be doing some car camping on this first trip. I'm planning on bringing a coleman 2 burner stove but didn't think a propane heater was a very good idea with co2 dangers?

I've got a little heater like this that I use in my hunting blind sometimes here in Texas.

Not sure it would do a whole lot of good if it actually got cold though.

5035-700_500.jpg

I may be doing some car camping on this first trip. I'm planning on bringing a coleman 2 burner stove but didn't think a propane heater was a very good idea with co2 dangers?
I've used a propane heater in a tent, but only ran it when I was awake. For car camping, I'm less worried about the heat as I can pack plenty of sleeping bags.

If it's not super cold, a Coleman/propane lantern puts out an appreciable amount of heat within a tent.

This would be a super slick way to heat a tent. Not cheap, but really not that far out of line compared to some of the wood stoves.

http://zodi.com/tent-heaters/x-40-hot-vent-tent-heater

I just picked up bear paw wilderness designs luna 4. Plenty of room for 2 guys with gear and a stove. I got a lite outdoors 18" regular stove based on the owners recommendation for that size of tipi. Don't have the stove yet so I can't speak about that, but the tipi is nice. $345 to my door with a stove jack installed. Sorry not trying to sell mine, just a recommendation if you can't find one used.

Last edited:
I looked pretty hard at the Luna 6. If the ordering setup was a little more user friendly I probably would have bought one, but figuring out how to order with all the different options was difficult.

With the 30% on the 6 man seek outside I am into it for $572 with shipping. They have a few options like the sod skirt, 2 doors, etc, and the 6 man seek outside is a bit bigger than the Luna 6 so if I ever need to cram 4 guys into it I should be able to.

Looking forward to getting it and trying it out, I'm essentially guiding one of my brothers on a deer/elk combo hunt in Montana this year. He is 54 years old and grew up in Montana, but has never killed a bull elk and I would love to be able to help him do that. Short of getting that done, I want to at least make it an enjoyable experience.

Just an idea but if you are car camping and not worried about the weight, why not build your own? I did an ammo can stove out of a 50mm can and it works awsome for my 4 man. For a bigger tipi just go up in can size. This project took me a couple hours and cost about $15. I don't like the idea of the propane heater as I think it would ad to the condensation issue in a single wall tent.

Last edited:
www.titaniumgoat.com

I have their 8 man tipi and 4 guys with all their backpacking gear fit in it. If you store your gear outside then more guys can sleep in it. they also sell stoves that work great and come apart for packing easily.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back