Write offs as Hunting Guide

Totally agree. If it’s a legit business, 100%, no worries. Just saying the IRS won’t take kindly to stretching things that are not justified.

My dream job is a guide. Gotta figure out how how to convince the wifey to let me break away from the desk jockey gig. Ha
I’d recommend finding a way to keep your real job and guide a little on the side.
I do it because I love to sheep hunt and it’s the only real way to go on sheep hunts consistently unless you have a pile of cash to spend on your own hunts. I certainly don’t do it for money.
The good hunts with good clients are great. But there are the other kind.

I was a fly fishing guide for a couple years on a 1099. I was able to write off equipment, vehicle and boat costs and maintenance, river shuttles, and gas. Gas was the largest expense, and being able to write that off for river trips, as well as scouting trips, was huge. It’s been well over a decade since I was doing that (and personally wouldn’t want to do it again) but biting the bullet and hiring a CPA saved me thousands of dollars. Like others have written, hiring a pro will help you figure out and find all those areas of your expenses you may not have even realized you could write off. It’s worth it.

Best thing you can do is keep your day job and start working part time at guiding. You’ll figure out pretty quick if it’s something you and your family can handle.
Good luck,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back