Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wow What’s happening here?

I haven't been a member long enough to see many changes. But I've certainly been guilty of getting some info and then "passing it along", it was a mistake and I have since regretted it. Being reasonably self taught, I didn't have a mentor to tell me right from wrong, I always error-ed on the side or sharing more, with the thought that giving (info) was always better than not, which is not always the case. One of the many things I've learned from this site is to keep my mouth shut on specific info, keep it general and keep it positive (generally).

I haven't ever met anyone through the site, despite having attended 3 of the last 4 Rende's, apparently I'm not in the cool club, or didn't know the secret handshake.

However, while I am here my granddaughter hopes to knock down a Nyala, Bushbuck

Are these 2 species hunted in fenced areas in Namibia?

I have seen Kudu, Eland, and Gembok and was lucky enough to shoot an Impala buck in South Africa, a fenced 20,000 acre farm near Kimberley.

Cheers

Richard

Richard, One should be able to find a place to hunt Nyala but I am personally not aware of any Bushbuck hunts in Namibia, but I could be wrong. However my original post that you quoted from, was not a serious post. I was joking with Hunting Wife and others

Congratulations on the Impala sir

Hunting wife--you also might have been joking about the hats, but it would work, and it could be another source of income for Randy---selling hats (-:

However my original post that you quoted from, was not a serious post. I was joking with Hunting Wife and others
No, your humour wasn't lost on me, I got it, but as you mentioned those species it was a valid question as you are/have hunted in Namibia or is it another country where you are at the moment?.
Fenced?

I have a photo somewhere of my Buck, I'll dig it out

BTW, I could tell you where I hunted in SA, but it was a private ranch owned by De Beers, so little point, in this case 'its not what you know but who you know'😁

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Ive said it before but I feel it can be said again.
I sometimes ask for Info, gasp! But...
I have a lot of self imposed rules. Here are a few of the biggest.

1. I am not entitled to someone else hard earned info and cannot judge anyone who doesn't want to share because... its none of my damn business unless they want it to be!

2. If someone is kind enough to give into it is never shared with anyone without that owners consent. (Not your dad , not your best friend and certainly not some random dude on the internet.

3. You don't ask for info on areas you either know or think a person is going to return to or hunt regularly.(general season) or (over the counter tags). Thats taboo

4. If someone is always freely giving out info then its going to be worth what you paid for it.

New hunters would do themselves a lot of good if they understood the sacrifices it takes to find a lifetime of info.
What if you spent a lifetime....
getting up at 3am most Saturdays from June to October just to be at the top of the hill for day light then coming home after everyone is in bed on Sunday.
Pulling yourself away from the misses and her morning kisses.
The kids and the time they deserve. Such as morning bike rides, visits to the zoo and sports events.
Working around the house after dark to get that honey do list "done good enough"
The 3 or 5 k in gas per year just to scout spots.
Wearing out a hunting truck every 4 or 6 years.
Becoming a young man with an old mans back and knees.
Turning down invitation after invitation from friends and family for dinners, barbeques, drinks, bonfires, and chances to be social because you need to get up early.
All of the stress these types of things put on relationships.
The financial sacrifices a person makes to live in a state that makes this possible.
A man has a finite amount of time/money and some spend a disproportionate amount of it finding hunting spots.
You have to assume the info that has been shared with you by others has similar back stories and you must treat it as such.

Then along come some strager/ acquaintance who comes across as if he is entitled to the information you have sacrificed important parts of your life for!?
I think that most responses are left with restraint.
This may sound dramatic but to some its reality

I haven't been a member long enough to see many changes. But I've certainly been guilty of getting some info and then "passing it along", it was a mistake and I have since regretted it. Being reasonably self taught, I didn't have a mentor to tell me right from wrong, I always error-ed on the side or sharing more, with the thought that giving (info) was always better than not, which is not always the case. One of the many things I've learned from this site is to keep my mouth shut on specific info, keep it general and keep it positive (generally).

I haven't ever met anyone through the site, despite having attended 3 of the last 4 Rende's, apparently I'm not in the cool club, or didn't know the secret handshake.
I can't show you the secrete hand shake, but that hasn't detoured me from butting in and giving my .02 cents worth. I do appreciate that you learn from your mistakes. I should have a PHD by now, but I guess I'm a slow learner myself.

Ive said it before but I feel it can be said again.
I sometimes ask for Info, gasp! But...
I have a lot of self imposed rules. Here are a few of the biggest.

1. I am not entitled to someone else hard earned info and cannot judge anyone who doesn't want to share because... its none of my damn business unless they want it to be!

2. If someone is kind enough to give into it is never shared with anyone without that owners consent. (Not your dad , not your best friend and certainly not some random dude on the internet.

3. You don't ask for info on areas you either know or think a person is going to return to or hunt regularly.(general season) or (over the counter tags). Thats taboo

4. If someone is always freely giving out info then its going to be worth what you paid for it.

New hunters would do themselves a lot of good if they understood the sacrifices it takes to find a lifetime of info.
What if you spent a lifetime....
getting up at 3am most Saturdays from June to October just to be at the top of the hill for day light then coming home after everyone is in bed on Sunday.
Pulling yourself away from the misses and her morning kisses.
The kids and the time they deserve. Such as morning bike rides, visits to the zoo and sports events.
Working around the house after dark to get that honey do list "done good enough"
The 3 or 5 k in gas per year just to scout spots.
Wearing out a hunting truck every 4 or 6 years.
Becoming a young man with an old mans back and knees.
Turning down invitation after invitation from friends and family for dinners, barbeques, drinks, bonfires, and chances to be social because you need to get up early.
All of the stress these types of things put on relationships.
The financial sacrifices a person makes to live in a state that makes this possible.
A man has a finite amount of time/money and some spend a disproportionate amount of it finding hunting spots.
You have to assume the info that has been shared with you by others has similar back stories and you must treat it as such.

Then along come some strager/ acquaintance who comes across as if he is entitled to the information you have sacrificed important parts of your life for!?
I think that most responses are left with restraint.
This may sound dramatic but to some its reality

I thought the first rule of Hunt Talk was you don't talk about Hunt Talk? ;) Kidding... Thanks for your insight!!

If your willing to go the place I go, set for hours glassing, make the outrageous amount of failed stalks, drag your body through cactus, stickers rocks and brush and Finally harvest an animal, and then pack it back through all the above you deserve every bit of help I can give you.

I agree with you...most of the time. I don't have a problem letting someone know where to find some good hunting but I sure won't narrow it down for them. Now, if they're good friends, I'll do it without thinking twice.

I’ve been on Hunt Talk less than a year and obviously I never saw what some describe as the good old days but what I have found is a more genuine and honest group of guys who truly enjoy what they do and discussing it with other. I don’t pry people for information on specific areas but more or less discuss gear and seek advice from experienced guys. Some however have shared specific information without me asking directly for it and for those guys I am grateful. I hope when I get more experienced in the future I can share what I’ve learned with others. I’m not a newbie to hunting by any means but I have learned a lot about western hunting and how the draws work etc from you guys on here and I really appreciate it. For anyone who doesn’t want to share information I respect you for I’m sure you have worked hard to learn what you know. I got on here simply trying to learn a little bit but I found much more. A community of real people going on real hunts and sharing real stories and experiences. I’ve made some friends on here and some I hope to actually meet in real life and enjoy hunting and fellowship. Keep on keeping on guys. This is the best group I’ve ever found.

I’ll help anyone who has contributed to this site any day of the week if I’m around. I’ve met some great friends off this site. Just ignore most newbies this time of year..... hope things brighten up! I know my tournament Bowfishing season starts this weekend so I’m in a dang good mood!
Matt

All I know...........................
1. I've applied for and received tags in the past where a simple single internet question/thread has blown odds up past obtainable.
2. Despite the pleas for new hunters and low hunter numbers, I've not seen my draw odds improve, in fact they have generally decreased 10X
3. If you are pleading for very specific elk information on a general or OTC unit in any western state, you're pretty much a jerk off.
4. Buy a map and a tag and go look for elk, the reward, regardless of outcome is far more than the price of admission
5. I can hardly name the folks I've met off this website and most all were not an outcome of a cry for help like a stranded princess.

Carry on jerk-offs!

#dinkshooterbanned

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back