Wound Seal

I have electrical tape, quickclot, and a tourniquet in my bino harness. Hopefully never have to use either of the last 2, but they’re there just in case.

I have electrical tape, quickclot, and a tourniquet in my bino harness. Hopefully never have to use either of the last 2, but they’re there just in case.
An Israeli compression bandage would be a good addition along with a syringe to irrigate debris from a puncture wound and a 2 oz topical antiseptic. I made up a package and then shrunk it in a food vacuum sealer and it weighs less than 1 lb and very compact.

More than gear, the knowledge to fix in the field will save life and limb. I'd suggest a WAFA class if not a WFR.

I have both and they are VERY on point, most WFR (Wilderness First Responder) require 40 hours in field work and cost runs anywhere from $300-700. Get a good wilderness first aid book as a start.

6 pack of beer, a curved needle and some thread. Throw last two away.
I have a video of my buddy, an Orthopedic surgeon, stitching up my ear in camp one year. Had Lidocaine and everything...

I made a big show of drinking a beer during the procedure. yeah it wasn't necessary...

I have a video of my buddy, an Orthopedic surgeon, stitching up my ear in camp one year. Had Lidocaine and everything...

I made a big show of drinking a beer during the procedure. yeah it wasn't necessary...
I should not make jokes about. That is really a serious situation when you are hurts far away from medical help. I hunt alone and it is always in the back of my mind what would I do. That is why I always carry an Inreach.

I was on a ride with a dentist who was elk hunting with the former Governor of Idaho, Butch Otter. He ended up stitching Butch's hand up in camp after a wood splitting incident.

My father split open a finger on a deadfall limb. I bandaged it up in Gauze and Vetwrap with a little Triple antibiotic cream. 7 days later when the doctor saw it, he said "I couldn't have done better with sutures. Nice Job"

Other years we have my BIL the veterinarian with us. He has the EMT QuikClot Gel from his practice. I get his outdates. He has stitched up horses from dead fall stobs more than anything. Get familiar with basic First Aid and wound care so you can keep your cool, and there is not much other than mass trauma you can't handle. Having horses, we have a pretty sizeable Vet kit that serves double duty.

1612208343890.png

Last edited:
Howdy All,

As a licensed EMT, stop the bleed instructor and having 10 plus years in SAR, I would recommend tossing the quickclot. It works exceptional at stopping the bled, it also has to be entirely removed during surgery...if necessary. This leads to much more tissue removal and longer healing process. Guaze that has a stopping agent imbedded into the fabric is far more effective with less ultimate damage to tissue.

We bring lidocaine and a suture kit on all our foreign surf trips. Often hours from hospital. We then spray liquid bandaid on it and keep on surfing until it's time to go home. No reason that won't work in the backcountry.

Howdy All,

As a licensed EMT, stop the bleed instructor and having 10 plus years in SAR, I would recommend tossing the quickclot. It works exceptional at stopping the bled, it also has to be entirely removed during surgery...if necessary. This leads to much more tissue removal and longer healing process. Guaze that has a stopping agent imbedded into the fabric is far more effective with less ultimate damage to tissue.
Agreed. My first tour in Iraq we all carried QuikClot, but by the time we got to Afghanistan the next year, we were being told to avoid it because they were finding it was becoming problematic to get out during surgery. Depending on the injury, the other options mentioned in previous parts are likely better options (tourniquet, Israeli bandage, pressure dressing). There are probably a few unique situations wherein QuikClot would be a good choice (some coupled with a tourniquet), but they are few and far between, IMO.

I second the gauze with clotting agent comment. I actually have an ankle trauma kit on me every day (not just hunting).

It includes:

SOG trauma shears (I cannot express how great these are)
CAT5 Tourniquet
QuickClot Combat Gauze
H&H Mini Compression Bandage
2 Hyfin Chest Seals
2 sets of rolled Nitrile Gloves
an IFAK from The Wilderness tactical for boo-boos.

That handles just about any bleed scenario up to getting shot. After that you just need to know what do do with all that stuff. The syringe for cleaning out wounds is also a GREAT addition for hunting (that I have in a more expanded kit in my pack) since most cuts out there are not clean.

Back